BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

Reports to NEC by Rebecca Millar BATOD NI Chair

Latest

10-06-17

Regional/National information and events report

The Education Authority of Northern Ireland has started the process of amalgamating all the regions and has appointed an interim Head of Sensory Support, Margaret Mullan who started in mid-January and was supposed to be leaving at the end of March but has agreed to stay on until end of June. The EA is currently advertising the vacancy of Head of Sensory Support Service. No mention has been made as to whether they still plan to have a ‘senior teacher’ in both Hearing and Vision services to support them. Margaret has met with all the regional teams to find common practices for the Service Review. We are meeting with Margaret and hopefully the Director of Children and Young People’s Services, Clare Mangan, in June, where we should be given further information.

Committee meetings report

The committee met in May to discuss the training day we are organising for the 9th June, the day before the June NEC, to confirm the final details. We are unable to have our usual training day in August this year due to the changes that are currently taking place in the Education Authority, so we have no planned events for a while.

13-03-17

Regional/National information and events report

The Teachers of the Deaf in N Ireland were very lucky to have an excellent training day from Mary Hare School on 23rd February. Head Teacher of the Primary School Pam Robinson and Head of Faculty, English and Literacy, Josephine Walsh covered three areas that we had asked for training on: assessments and measuring progress, supporting deaf children’s self-esteem and techniques for teaching English. The day was extremely useful and informative.

The N Ireland ToDs were also offered a training day from the NDCS on underachievement in deaf children and how to improve support for deaf children who are failing to make expected levels of progress. This was also felt to be a very good course which provided lots of positive suggestions.

Committee meetings report

A committee meeting took place on 12th January to discuss topics for our summer meeting and August training day.

03-12-16

Regional/National information and events report

The Education Authority of Northern Ireland has started the process of amalgamating all the regions and has appointed an interim Head of Sensory Support, Margaret Mullan, who is due to start any day soon. They are also looking to appoint an enduring Head of Sensory with a ‘senior teacher’ in both Hearing and Vision support to support them. This is still in process.

There is also currently a Service Review being undertaken of the Sensory Support Services within the five regions.

Committee meetings report

Nothing to report.

24-09-16

Regional/National information and events report

At our annual August training day we had our AGM and Frances Clarke from AVUK came over to do some AV training with our members. The day was kindly co-sponsored by Phonak and was very informative and useful.

The Education Authority of Northern Ireland has started the process of amalgamating all the regions and appointing an interim Head of Sensory to start in October and at the same time is looking to appoint an enduring Head of Sensory with a ‘senior teacher’ in both Hearing and Vision support to support them.

Committee meetings report

Nothing to report.

18-06-16

Regional/National information and events report

Nothing to report.

Committee meetings report

A committee meeting took place on 19th April to discuss topics for our summer meeting and August training day.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
21st June 2016Meal and Retirement party for two HOSBelfastRebecca Millar
25th August 2016BATOD NI Training Day and AGM AntrimRebecca Millar

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Rebecca Millar BATOD NI rep

13-03-16

Regional/National information and events report

The Teachers of the Deaf in N Ireland were very lucky to have an excellent training day from Mary Hare School on 23rd February. Head Teacher of the Primary School Pam Robinson and Head of Faculty, English and Literacy, Josephine Walsh covered three areas that we had asked for training on: Assessments and measuring progress, Supporting deaf children’s self-esteem and Techniques for teaching English. The day was extremely useful and informative.

The N Ireland ToDs were also offered a training day from the NDCS on Underachievement in deaf children and how to improve support for deaf children who are failing to make expected levels of progress. This was also felt to be a very good course which provided lots of positive suggestions.

Committee meetings report

Committee meeting took place on 12th January to discuss topics for our summer meeting and August training day.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
April 2016Committee meetingLisburnRebecca Millar
June 2016 tbcSummer meetingBelfastRebecca Millar
August 2016BATOD NI Training Day and AGM BelfastRebecca Millar

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Rebecca Millar BATOD NI rep

5-12-15

Regional/National information and events report

Batod NI had a training session about Nucleus 6 at the Auditory Implant Centre Belfast on 11th November 2015 given by Kelvin Hawkes from Cochlear. This session was very useful and informative.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
January 2016 tbcCommittee meetingLisburnRebecca Millar
February 2016 tbcTraining Day with Mary HareBelfastRebecca Millar
26th August 2015BATOD NI Training Day and AGM BelfastRebecca Millar

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Rebecca Millar BATOD NI rep

19-09-15

Regional/National information and events report

BATOD NI had their annual training day on 28th August 2015. BATOD President Andrea Baker spoke to the members about what is happening in BATOD currently and reminded all those there that we do make a difference in our students’ lives. The members were particularly amused by her story about Baby Cheese! We also had a very speedy AGM and took the opportunity to thank our Treasurer Antonette Burns for her long service and wealth of knowledge. She is handing the role over to Clare Bateson but will remain on the committee.

Suzanne Johnston and Ruth Majors, both Cognitive Behaviour Therapists, gave the members lots of strategies to help parents who have just been given a diagnosis of deafness and in the afternoon they talked about building emotional literacy in children and young people and Theory of Mind.

The feedback from the members was very positive and the meeting was very well attended.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
December 2015Committee meetingtbcRebecca Millar
February 2016 tbcTraining Day with Mary HareAntrimRebecca Millar
26th August 2015 tbcBATOD NI Training Day and AGM BelfastAntonette Burns

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Rebecca Millar BATOD NI rep

13-06-15

Committee meetings report

The committee met on 28th April to organise our annual BATOD Training Day in August 2015. As we have no Chairperson currently, the tasks involved in this event were shared out amongst the committee. Our two new members were keen to be part of the process (Lesley Greehy and Clare Bateson). We are using a local company offering training in counselling skills and Theory of Mind.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
28th August 2015BATOD NI Training Day, AGM and President’s VisitAntrimRebecca Millar

15.03.14

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Training Day from Mary Hare on 23rd February looking at Best Practice was a very successful day with high attendance from all 5 Education Boards. Mary Hare have agreed to offer another training day next year at the same time of year..

  2. Committee meetings report

    No meetings have taken place this term so far but one is planned for the end of March to discuss the August training day.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    28th August 2015 TBCBATOD NI Training DayAntrimRebecca Millar

    Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

    None Back to Latest

    05.12.14

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Training Day from Mary Hare 23rd February on Best Practice.

    2. Committee meetings report

      No meetings have taken place this term.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      23 February 2015Mary Hare lectureStormont Hotel, BelfastRebecca Millar

      Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      None Back to Latest

      27-09-14

      1. Regional/National information and events report

        As we still don’t have a Chair or Chair Elect we have had to begin using a rolling Chair system where each member takes a turn to organise a committee meeting or training event. There is very little enthusiasm for this amongst the committee however.

        We had our annual training day on August 29th in Antrim. The Ewing Foundation gave us a technology up date, lots of opportunities to practise our test box skills and demonstrated how to successfully verify hearing aids in babies.

        We used this day to hold our AGM too so that we had a large captive audience! We were unsuccessful in securing either a Chair, Chair elect or Treasurer but did gain two new committee members.

        We are still waiting to hear if we have secured permission and funding for a day each term to provide training for our members.

      2. Committee meetings report

        After discussion about the low attendance at our recent evening meetings we decided not to have a summer meeting but a meal and informal ‘catch up’ session which was attended only by committee members but was great fun. We intend to hold a committee meeting in November to see how people feel about a possible evening lecture by a member of Mary Hare School staff in March..

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        March 2015Mary Hare lecturetbaRebecca Millar

        Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      • No Chair for BATOD NI.

      • Poor attendance at events
      Back to Latest

      14-06-14

      1. Regional/National information and events report

        We still don’t have a Chair elect for our AGM in August 2014 so we have discussed using a rolling Chair system where each member takes a turn to organise a committee meeting or training event but there was very little enthusiasm for this amongst the committee.

        We had a very interesting and informative training session from the Autism Advisory Service in March about Autism and Deafness, which, however, was very poorly attended.

      2. Committee meetings report

        Our committee meetings in April and early June were used to firm up details for our next Training Day and AGM in August. We also discussed the low attendance at our recent evening meetings and decided not to have a summer meeting but a meal and informal ‘catch up’ session. It has been proposed that we do not have any evening meetings in the future but try to secure a day each term to provide training for members. We are still awaiting a decision on this from the regional steering group.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        29 August 2014 BATOD AGM 2014 and training on hearing aid verification and advanced test box use provided by The Ewing FoundationAntrim Board CentreRebecca Millar
        March 2015Mary Hare lecturetbaRebecca Millar

        Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      • No Chair for BATOD NI and the implications to NEC if it folds.

      • Poor attendance at events
      Back to Latest

      09-03-14

      1. Regional/National information and events report

        We have managed to recruit two new members to the committee but unfortunately Janice McKillop who served as Chair of Batod NI 2010 to 2012 has stepped down from the committee due to other commitments. We still don’t have a Chair elect for our AGM in August 2014 so we have discussed using a rolling Chair system where each member takes a turn to organise a committee or information meeting.

      2. Committee meetings report

        Our committee meeting in December and January were used to firm up details for our next two meetings in Spring and Summer. To also to discuss moving our AGM to the same day as our Training Day in August as this is the meeting that we have the highest attendance in the year. We agreed that we would do this on alternative years.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        March 11 2014Spring meeting – Autism and DeafnessJordanstown School for the Deaf Rebecca Millar
        May 2014 Summer meeting – Working with families and Counselling skillsJordanstown School for the DeafRebecca Millar
        29 August 2014 BATOD NI Training Day and AGM 2014Antrim Board Centre Rebecca Millar
    • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      • How Heads of Service are to manage staff who are on different contracts – different hours, conditions and pay?
      • How to ensure that audiology services link up with other services effectively.

      Back to Latest

      09-11-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report

        For our August training day we had a good turnout of members so we took the opportunity to encourage new members on to the committee and create a culture of participation. We currently have no Chair Elect so had to impress upon the members what this could mean for Batod NI.

        We also used the event to tell the members about the new website and gave them the opportunity to log in at the meeting and update their details.

        At the rest of the meeting Cochlear informed us about the new Cochlear 6 and in the afternoon Sharon Robb presented Wendy McCracken’s latest research on FM radio aids.

        In October we had our AGM and Batod President Karen Taylor talked to us about what is happening in BATOD, what happened at the FEAPDA conference and how her Virtual School works.

      2. Committee meetings report

        Our committee meeting in September was used to firm up details for our AGM and to chase the last few members who have not provided their current e-mail details.

        We still have no Chair Elect which could mean our committee folds next Sept.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        December 2013To discuss topics for our Spring meeting Premier Inn Lisburn Rebecca Millar
        Jan 2014 To firm up details for Spring and Summer meetingsPremier Inn Lisburn Rebecca Millar
        March 2014 Spring MeetingTBA Rebecca Millar
    • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      • How Heads of Service are to manage staff who are on different contracts – different hours, conditions and pay?
      • How to ensure that audiology services link up with other services effectively.

      Back to Latest

      10-03-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report

        Batod NI held its Spring Meeting at Action for Hearing Loss HQ in Belfast in March 2013. The Teachers of the Deaf found out about what Action for Hearing Loss offers students when they leave school and move to college or into work.

      2. Committee meetings report

        The committee members met in January 2013 to finalise the details for the Spring Meeting and discuss the possible subjects for our summer meeting.

        We heard feedback from Wendy Martin who had attended another meeting about the compulsory computer based assessments in N.I. We also discussed our training day in August and who is supposed to organise and fund it.

        The committee met again in April to confirm the Summer meeting details – a talk from two Health Trust co-ordinators for NBHS and a chance to socialise and meet new ToDs to the area. Contacting the local training colleges was also discussed to ensure trainee teachers are aware of the role of a ToD.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        30 August 2013Nucleus 6 and rehabilitation Antrim Board HQ Rebecca Millar
        October 2013 Batod N.I. AGM Tollymore National Outdoor Centre Newcastle Co.Down Rebecca Millar

      Back to Latest

      Reports to NEC by Janice McKillop BATOD NI Chair

      Latest

      10-03-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report

        Batod NI held it’s AGM at Tollymore National Outdoor Centre near Newcastle Co Down in October 2012. Unfortunately, we are still in need of someone to take on the Chair elect position in two years time. Dave Couch very kindly talked to us about Quality Standards and how to quantify ‘added value’ in our roles.

        Rosemary Gardner updated us about the School for the Deaf in Kenya that she is supporting and the ToDs in N.Ireland raised money for earlier in the year. Rosemary visited the school again in July 2012 and took over more equipment and hearing aids for the students.

      2. Committee meetings report

        The committee members met in November 2012 to discuss the possible subjects for our Spring meeting and the computer based assessments that are compulsory in N.Ireland.

        The committee met again in January to confirm the Spring meeting details and listen to feedback from Wendy Martin who had attended a meeting with CCEA about the computer-based assessments. The NDCS was also represented at this meeting and BATOD was represented by Mary Campbell who attended on Paul Simpson’s behalf. This is an ongoing issue.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        Spring Meeting 2013 Working Together with Action on Hearing Loss Adelaide House Belfast R. Millar
        Summer Meeting 2013 NBHS statistics for last 6 years TBA V.McCreedy

      Back to Latest