BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

Reports to NEC and committee meeting minutes from BATOD East

Latest

12-03-17

East report to NEC March 2017

Download East report to NEC March 2017

Back to Latest

03-12-16

Regional/National information and events report

NaTSIP HOSS – 19 Oct – Birmingham; NDCS 0-2 Weekend – 19/11/16 Huntingdon; T Quail delivering the Saturday presentations with Amy Darters (SALT) from Emmeline centre

Committee meetings report

Committee meeting held on 25 Sept 2016.

The list of BATOD members and where they are now working has been updated with the information available.

A survey monkey for members’ feedback will be sent when we have everyone’s email address. It will also be sent to heads of service and then they can distribute it to their teams. The survey will be updated to add a section where non-members can add their address to be kept up to date.

‘Children with cochlear implants slow to progress’ course (for 20 people) and AGM arranged for 5th July. Otometrics to be approached to see if they will speak and then pay for lunch.

  • Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    26 September 2016Committee meetingWestgate PrimaryJo Sayers
    6 March 2017Committee meetingWestgate Primary
    26 June 2017Committee meetingWestgate Primary
    5th July 10am-4pmWest Suffolk House Conference room, East floor 1, Room 10

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

    Meeting BATOD member needs re: training sessions

    Whilst it was suggested Bury St Edmunds would be more central for twilight session there was feedback that twilight courses should not be encouraged as a healthy work-life balance is important therefore courses should be during the working day.

    Back to Latest

    24-09-16

    Regional/National information and events report

    Committee meeting to be held on 25 Sept 2016 Committee meetings report

    To book Ear Foundation – slow to progress CI for July 2017 for BATOD members

  • Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    26 September 2016Committee meetingtbcJo Sayers
    6 March 2017Committee meetingtbc
    26 June 2017Committee meetingtbc

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

    Meeting BATOD member needs re: training sessions

    Whilst it was suggested Bury St Edmunds would be more central for twilight session there was feedback that twilight courses should not be encouraged as a healthy work-life balance is important therefore courses should be during the working day.

    Back to Latest

    Minutes and Chair's report of the July 2016 AGM of BATOD East

    Download Minutes and Chair's report from the July 2016 AGM of BATOD East

    Back to Latest

    18-06-16

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Committee meeting held Monday 6 June. AURICAL presentation due to take place prior to meeting was cancelled due to ill health.

    2. Committee meetings report

      The committee had a discussion regarding the future of BATOD East due to the lack of response from emails sent, and attendance at meetings. Due to distance being an issue, trialling of members attending virtually and hosting our meetings at a venue where WiFi can be easily accessed was discussed.

      Alison Berry, Head of Sensory and Communication, will be retiring at the end of this academic year.

      Training targeted to deafness and other SEN was a common theme.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      7 July 2016AGMActive Business Centre, Bury St. EdmundsJo Sayers
      7 July 2016Part 2 - Counselling, Coaching and Collaboration course from the Ear Foundation.Active Business Centre, Bury St. EdmundsSara Brierton
      26 September 2016Committee meetingtbcJo Sayers
      6 March 2016Committee meetingtbcJo Sayers
      26 June 2016Committee meetingtbcJo Sayers

    4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      Meeting BATOD member needs re: training sessions

      Whilst it was suggested Bury St Edmunds would be more central for twilight session there was feedback that twilight courses should not be encouraged as a healthy work-life balance is important therefore courses should be during the working day.

    Back to Latest

    Minutes of the June 2016 meeting of BATOD East:

    Download Minutes of BATOD East committee meeting, June 2016

    Minutes of the March 2016 meeting of BATOD East:

    Download Minutes of BATOD East committee meeting, March 2016

    05-12-15

    1. Committee meetings report

      14 September: 4 members present plus one member used Skype (using personal phone data credits – sustainability of this method to be discussed).

      Discussed the survey questions to members - sample created using Survey Monkey – to be reviewed at next committee meeting.

      Discussed joint training day among Services - focus on sharing good practice/local offers - date 5th May 2016.

    2. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      8 February 2016Committee Meeting 5.30 - 6.30Westgate Primary School, Bury St. EdmundsJo Sayers
      5 May 2016AGM and profession CPDSuffolk LASara Brierton
      13 June 2016Committee meetingWestgate Primary School, Bury St. Edmunds Jo Sayers

    3. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      Cambridgeshire - Restructuring of Cambridgeshire SEND; looking to remove Specialist Teachers from Teachers' Ts and Cs.

    Back to Latest

    13-06-15

    Report from Teresa Quail - BATOD East representative to NEC

    Committee meetings report

    There is current representation from Norfolk, Suffolk, Peterborough.

    What has been achieved since Feb meeting:

    CPD training 22 April – Bone Conductor Hearing Instruments delivered by Kristen Bayliss, Cochlear. Location: Peterborough. Multi-agency audience – good attendance. AGM details – 22 April. Termly meetings at Westgate Primary in Bury St Edmunds continue. Next meeting postponed to 15 June 2015.

    Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

    • Cross-border arrangements for Sensory Support Services -
    • Updated member database details
    • If you do charge for a conference how do we make it possible for ToDs to sort out paying via their service. We said that many ToDs won't pay and on principle want their LAs to pay. That's why we made the conference (22 April) free because we didn't know how to do it.

    The minutes for the meeting will reflect the discussion on these points.

    Back to Latest

    06-06-14

    Chair's report to the BATOD East AGM held in Cambridge on 28th April 2014
    Report from Jo Sayers - Chair

    What has been achieved by BATOD East in the last year?

    • We successfully organised a Twilight conference held at CNS school in Norwich. Our main speaker, Sally Wynne, gave a clear and comprehensive overview of the Test of Abstract Language Concepts (TALC) assessment. A single record sheet, developed by the Norfolk Speech and Language Team, was given to delegates as a simple alternative to the multiple record sheets provided as part of the TALC assessment pack. In addition we also had a presentation about the ClickView project being developed at CNS school; looking at ways of providing students with transcripts for video clips shown in lessons. Karen Taylor (President of BATOD at the time) closed the conference by talking about the new BATOD website and encouraging members to take an active role in promoting the work of BATOD to non-members.
    • We have continued to hold termly committee meetings at Westgate Primary school in Bury St Edmunds. One of our main aims for these meetings is to hear about what is happening in our region (Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire) and how LAs are meeting the needs of children and Young People with HI. Due to changes within the committee we do not have a representation of these different regions although we have heard from a member in Peterborough who is interested in coming to our meetings. At our last committee meeting we agreed that each member would establish a contact with a neighbouring LA member and ask for feedback to discuss at the meeting and to be included in the minutes.
    • We have managed to organise the dates for committee meetings in time to be published in the BATOD magazine!

    Aims for the year ahead:

    • To establish links with BATOD members across the region and gather information prior to our committee meetings to share as part of the ‘feedback from regions’ agenda item.
    • To encourage BATOD members to consider acting as a regional representative at our committee meetings.
    • We currently have a vacancy for an NEC representative from BATOD East and would like to encourage BATOD members to consider taking on this important and rewarding role.
    • We have plans for delivering a Twilight conference on Play Therapy for children with HI. We would like to hear from members about the best timing for this type of training (evening, afternoon, weekend).

      We would be delighted to hear from anyone who would like to be more involved. Do get in touch.

      Contact Jo Sayers.

      09-11-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report
        11th October

        'Moving On' for 14-18 year old HI students at Cambridge Professional Development centre. Organised by the Hearing Impaired Teenagers (HIT) group it attracted teenagers from across the eastern region. For more information about this annual event see http://www.hitgroupcambridge.co.uk/6.html

        28th April 2014

        HOSSER day with guest speaker Lindsey Rousseau (venue to be confirmed)

      2. Committee meetings report

        We are currently a small committee but we hold regular meetings 3-4 times a year. Our meetings usually take place at Westgate Primary school in Bury St. Edmunds and anyone thinking of joining us would receive a very warm welcome.

        We would like to make a plea to BATOD members from Norfolk, Essex and Cambridgeshire to join our committee so we can have feedback about what is happening across our region.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        10 February 2014Committee Meeting 5.30 - 6.30Westgate School, Bury St. EdmundsTrina Rankin
        19 May 2014Committee Meeting Westgate School, Bury St. EdmundsTrina Rankin
        25 June 2014Twilight training (provisional date)Bury St Edmunds Trina Rankin

      4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

        none raised

      Back to Latest

      22-09-12

      1. Regional/National information and events report
        The new committee met at the beginning of July to make plan out future regional events 2012-13.

        There was general agreement that the HOSSER day on Measuring Outcomes, which was organised this year by the Sensory Team in Suffolk, was a great success. Cambridgeshire Sensory Service has agreed to organise a similar conference next year but intend to have a more VI focus as the past few years have had an HI focus.

        As well as offering support to the HOSSER conference, the committee plans to hold a twilight session for professional development once a year.

      2. Committee meetings report

        Each committee member gave an update on services in their county. There was then discussion of Local Authorities not currently represented on committee and how to encourage representatives from those areas. There are currently reps from Cambridgeshire, Norfolk and Suffolk. No reps from Peterborough, Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton, Essex. There has been contact with the Head of Service in Peterborough which will be followed-up.

        The discussion then centred around planning an annual twilight session.
        Suggestions for topics:

        1. TALC Test Abstract Lang Comprehension primary and secondary; Sally Wynne (Norwich based) to be asked when available will be helpful to learn implications for target setting
        2. Play therapy Yasmin Kovic
        3. Click View subtitles transcripts/Clicker 6/ use of i-pads
        4. Assessments

        The big question was where to hold twilights that are cost effective. The committee also noted that the date needs to be finalised so that it can be published in BATOD magazine ahead of time. The committee will meet again in October to further plans for twilight session after investigation into venues and possible speakers.

        Committee members

        RoleName
        ChairpersonJo Sayers
        SecretaryTrina Rankin
        TreasurerJo Hughes
        NEC RepJo Brass
        Committee membersSibel Djemal

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        22 October 2012Committee Meeting to plan for a June twilight sessionWestgate School, Bury St. EdmundsJo Sayers
        11 February 2012Committee Meeting to plan events for 2013-14 Westgate School, Bury St. EdmundsJo Sayers
        March or April 2012AGMHOSSER Day (usually held at Holiday Inn, Impington)Jo Sayers
        17 June 2012Committee Meeting and meal Westgate School, Bury St. EdmundsJo Sayers

      4. 1. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

        Is it possible to have an e-mail list or distribution list of all BATOD members in the East region? This would make sending out information about twilight sessions more successful.

        The questions that arose from the update from each area were surrounding resourced provisions. Some have very few pupils (Norfolk, Suffolk) and some have too many (Cambridgeshire). Both are currently looking at admissions criteria to try and address this.
        Questions arose about consistency across the region/nationally:
        What should these enhanced provisions be like? Are they comparative?
        What type of children/young people are accessing these enhanced provisions? Is this comparative?

      Back to Latest

      26-05-12

      1. 1. Regional/National information and events report
        BATOD East AGM was held at the HOSSER Day at Holiday inn, Impington on 27 April. This was the first time since July 2011 that any of the committee had met due to workload issues. Several members of the committee stepped down and new committee members were elected (see below)

        The new committee already has exciting plans for next year to be discussed further at the next committee meeting.

      2. Committee meetings report

        RoleOutgoing Newly elected/remaining in post
        ChairpersonKath Cutmore Jo Sayers
        SecretarySara Brierton Trina Rankin
        Treasurerremaining Jo Hughes
        NEC RepremainingJo Brass
        Committee membersas aboveSibel Djemal
      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        2 July 2012Committee Meeting Westgate School, Bury St. EdmundsJo Sayers

      4. 1. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: None at present

      Back to Latest

      Reports to NEC by Sara Brierton, Secretary BATOD East

      24-09-11

      BATOD East recently held a planning meeting for the forthcoming year. The meeting was held in Essex. This was attended by approximately 15 members including several committee members. An open discussion was held on topics for events and speakers for events during the coming year. Suggested topics included: CHSWG and parent membership, supporting and assessing higher order language skills and a variety of other topics. Ultimately it was decided to attempt to focus on three areas:

      Play therapy; speaker to be invited from deaf children and families service; recently established in Cambridge

      Measuring outcomes; it was hoped this would become the focus of the Eastern Region Heads of Sensory Service day to be held on April 27 in Cambridge at the Holiday Inn. This subsequently happened and speakers will include Sue Lewis. This was overwhelmingly the topic that interested most TODs at the planning discussion as they felt they were being asked to demonstrate more and more the impact of their work and this was not always easily reflected or fairly represented in the national Curriculum scores and other data they were asked to produce by Ofsted/government.

      It was agreed that holding the AGM during the Hosser event had worked well and therefore this would happen again (lunchtime 27 April).

      The third event; a twilight event will be held in the summer term 2012 - date and topic to be confirmed.

      All agreed that meeting as a TOD group was good for morale and kept everybody in touch with regional happenings. TODs exchanged regional news and experiences.

      Back to Latest

      25-06-11

      BATOD East continues to grow! It is becoming more established and continues to grow in strength. A successful AGM was held which attracted over 30 members and saw some new individuals agree to join the committee/planning group

      The AGM was held during a very successful regional training day which focussed on the subject of bilateral cochlear implantation, held on 6 May in Cambridge. Tjis was attended by over 100 professionals from the region from various disciplines related to edcuation and defaness.

      Those who attended the lunchtime AGM meeting listened to a very inspiring address from current BATOD President Gary Anderson, outlining some of the issues facing the p[profession and association and to his strong encouragement to keep the new regional group going. The committee woud like to thank Gary for this well timed rallying address, it was just what we needed.

      A BATOD East plannin meeting was held on 6 July in Essex to plan further events for the academic year. Watch this space..... we hope to hold three events during the coming year andhope to hold the AGM at the next regional training day likely to take place during Spring Term 2012 (date to be confirmed) Several committee mebers have agreed to stay in their positions whilst the regional group consolidates, including cahirperson Kathryn Cutmore (Essex) and secretary Sarah Brierton (Suffolk). It was also very pleasing however, to welcome some new committee members to join us! We hope this 'new blood' will support us in putting together some informative and useful events for the coming year.

      The region is proud that the next presidnet of BATOD- Karen Taylor - lives and works in the BATOD East region and we look forward to being inspired by her leadership on a regional and national level.

      Back to Latest

      20-03-11

      BATOD East has now been in existence for over a year and has held some successful events and plans to do more.

      We began with an initial meeting in November 2009 and from that planned a few further events for the year. The initial meeting included the usual election of officers with several people agreeing to an initial period in office to get BATOD EAST off the ground. We were also treated to a wonderful presentation and demonstration of techniques by Phillipa Derrington, music therapist, who showed us her workshop and some inspiring and moving footage of some of her work with deaf young people.

      A Regional training day around Safeguarding, held in April 2009 in Cambridge then gave us the opportunity to promote BATOD East further and to publicise a meeting held in June in Bury St Edmunds. At this summer meeting, Jackie Salter from the Ear Foundation gave a presentation around the Phonics Guidance for mainstream teachers working with deaf children produced earlier this year by NDCS. We were extremely grateful to Phonak who sponsored this event by providing tea, coffee and biscuits and thankful to Phonak’s regional representative, Rob Taylor, who gave us an update on Phonak’s latest radio aid technology and addressed some specific issues raised by members such as use of FM with unilateral hearing losses. We were very encouraged that around 40 people attended this event.

      Unfortunately, the event planned for a Saturday in November 2010 had to be cancelled due to lack of apparent participants. The meeting focus and presentation was to have been from Hearing Dogs for the Deaf and would also have been the AGM for BATOD. This has been rearranged for the 6 May with a different focus and to which we hope our President, Gary Anderson and Ann Underwood will be present.

      A regional conference on Bilateral Implants is planned for the 6th May when we will hold the BATOD AGM.

      Committee members are always on the look out for those willing to plan and organise events and are gradually getting to grips with the best ways to promote events. Hopefully 2010/11 will see BATOD East consolidate membership and build on the initial enthusiasm for the existence of the group. Many services may face interesting times over the next few years and it seems a regional forum for joint training and support such as BATOD East could provide may be helpful.

      Back to Latest