BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

Report to NEC about the activity of BATOD Midland

Latest

12-03-17

There was no written report from the Midland region as there is currently a vacancy for the role of regional representative.

03-12-16

Regional/National information and events report

Committee meeting: 29.09.16; Committee meeting: 09.11.16

Committee meeting minutes

We have been making arrangements for the future conference in the summer term.

The new treasurer, Pauline Wells, has moved us to online banking and payments are being made by bank transfer rather than cheque which is more convenient.

We welcomed new member Victoria Carter-Harris who works for the Birmingham Hearing Impairment team as a peripatetic Teacher of the Deaf.

We have signposted Midland members to our BATOD Midland Facebook group and have had many members joining.

We are getting the BATOD Midland mobile phone from Helen Cooper who is currently on maternity leave so that we can use what’s app for future committee meetings.

We have updated the BATOD Midland summary webpage.

We discussed when in the year to hold the Midland conference as traditionally we have done it in the summer term but this can mean that opportunities for it to feed into the ToD’s individual CPD cycle are lost as knowledge can’t be used to impact on the annual CPD cycle as it is too late by the end of May/July. We are intending to bring it forward to just after Easter. It was felt that if we had it in the spring term it would clash with the national conference.

Feedback from services:

  • Leicestershire. The decision about moving towards a traded model for some aspects of our service has been put on hold until after the service review. Everyone is very busy. There has been lots of training provided to schools.
  • Worcestershire – two colleagues retired last term and the HI team has come together with the VI and MSI teams to form a larger sensory impairment team. Within this team, HI is line managed by a Senior HI specialist teacher. We continue to support all children and young people for whom hearing loss impact is profound, severe or moderate as our commissioned work. Pupils whose impact of hearing loss is mild are seen via service level agreements with schools and we are developing bespoke training and support packages to widen our offer to schools. There has been a large rise in profoundly deaf babies being referred which has had an impact on the team and we are constantly looking at ways to deliver within our means.
  • In Warwickshire a member of staff (Claire Sunderland) has just qualified as an Educational Audiologist. There is no longer a Sign Language Tutor. The team are thinking about parent voice. A parent social is going to be held with a view to them helping shape the service.
  • Louise Westwood in Dudley achieved an award for outstanding student on the Post Graduate Diploma in Early Years and Deafness at Mary Hare. The HI Service is coming under a new team called Whole Life Disability.
  • In Birmingham the team are very busy considering the Ofsted of services. Mark Rogers, Chief Executive of Birmingham City Council was contacted by a parent to praise the support she had received from Sensory Support including QToD, Cathy Spruce, HLTA Liz Fearon and BSL Tutor Gail Conway. Following on from this Sensory Support were finalists in the Chamberlain Awards and were then nominated for a Shining Stars award which was presented on Friday 11th November 2016.
  • Oxfordshire is suffering high caseload due to staff shortages. The applicants they are getting are not qualified Teachers of the Deaf.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
18th January 2017 Committee meeting Lugtrout Lane, SolihullAlison Campbell
27th April 2017 Half Day conference and AGM Royal School for the Deaf, DerbyAlison Campbell

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

  • NatSIP email re: working with On-line Training Ltd. Two members from Midland services were keen to find out NEC’s feelings about the request forwarded by NatSIP. The email offered an opportunity for ToDs to work with On-line training Ltd to mentor 12 people recruited through one’s own workplace and deliver a training package. As a mentor you could use the training package created by On-Line Training for free for one year. After this time there would then be the opportunity to continue the arrangement paying for use of the package.
  • An idea has been raised with regards to sharing a picture and a couple of paragraphs on the website for notable individuals who have had a lasting impact on deaf education. The idea being that each region and BATOD celebrates and recognises those members who have made a lasting contribution to deaf education in the UK. The committee felt that having this information under the regional webpages makes it more personal and accessible. The Midland committee came up with a possible list of names but wanted to see what NEC thinks of this idea in general.
  • A member has raised an issue about relevant CPD for ToDs and the impact that this has on teacher retention. There are examples of good practice but there are concerns that some members in resource bases where the provision is delegated to the school are not getting appropriate CPD related to their specialism.

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell, NEC representative

Back to Latest

24-09-16

Regional/National information and events report

We held our AGM and training afternoon on 6th July 2016 in Dudley. It was well attended and the topics of access arrangements for GCSE and A level and dynamic assessment were well received. Positive feedback related to the content of the training day – delegates reported that it is hard to be released from work to attend these events; a case has to be made for it so the subject matter is an important factor for members when choosing whether to attend BATOD midland events. Delegates were also pleased that lunch was provided (sponsored by manufacturers).

Committee meeting minutes

No committee meetings held since before the last NEC meeting in June. Following the training day we have had interest from a few members in attending BATOD committee meetings. We hope to have new members from Staffordshire attend our committee meeting at the end of September. There has also been positive support from members in different local authorities to having future BATOD Midland events in their local county/borough, e.g. moving the annual training afternoon around the region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
29th September 2016 Committee meeting Solihull Alison Campbell and Angie Wootten

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

None

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell, NEC representative

Back to Latest

18.06.16

Regional/National information and events report

No committee meetings held since before the last NEC meeting in March.

Committee meeting minutes Following our midland regional conference which takes place on 6th July at The Savoy Centre, Dudley we will next meet in September to begin organising our conference for the following year which may take place at the Royal School for the Deaf, Derby. Following feedback from members we are trying to hold our conferences in different venues around the region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
Midland conference and AGM on Wed 6th July 2016 Access arrangements for GCSE and A Level (Paul Simpson); Dynamic Assessment (Jane Yeomans) The Savoy Centre, Northfield Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY2 9ES Alison Campbell

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

None.

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell, NEC representative

Back to Latest

13.03.16

Regional/National information and events report

We are planning that our next Half Day event will be on July 6th. Paul Simpson has agreed to come and talk to us about access arrangements. There may also be an item on ‘dynamic assessment’. The venue is to be confirmed but is likely to be in Worcester.

Committee meeting minutes

  • Alison Campbell reported on the latest NEC report and we discussed some of the issues including Worcestershire support service’s experience of Babcock (see below), oral language modification and the state of play with regards to the Mandatory Qualification
  • The transfer from traditional banking to online banking is going ahead, as is the change of signatories, reflecting in particular Robert Miller’s resignation from the post of Treasurer last year. We discussed next steps in the paperwork.
  • We are preparing for our Half Day in July. The most popular topic that emerged from our BATOD survey suggested that assessment was the preferred topic. In line with this Paul Simpson was to be asked whether he would present on the subject of access arrangements and Stuart Whyte to be asked to speak about acoustic assessment. A suitable speaker on the subject of dynamic assessment was also to be invited.
Feedback from the services

  • Oxfordshire is merging with Hampshire for some administrative tasks e.g. payroll. Alison Holmans is retiring
  • Dudley has had one person qualifying as an Ed Aud and another is training
  • Leicestershire is still in a state of flux. There are various changes in staffing coming up and there has been a slight change in accommodation
  • Solihull requires a maternity cover from May (Helen). Andrea Baker has now fully retired. It’s a good team. It is gradually going paperless. Quite a new development is a number of children with Down’s who have been fitted with bone conductors
  • Worcestershire is now in a transition stage with Babcock from October 2015. No changes in teachers’ pay and conditions are envisaged until 2017. New posts will be advertised over 41 weeks a year (2 more than the norm). One change includes one qualification as an Educational Audiologist.
  • Warks is having to make savings. Good morale at the moment.

Information on the inside back cover There is still no chairperson. Angie Wootten will cease to be secretary when the AGM is held.

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Angie Wootten

Back to Latest

5.12.15

Regional/National information and events report

At our recent meeting (07.10.15) we took the opportunity to discuss in detail the shape of future meetings/twilights. (See below for further details.) Hawthorn Primary School (HRB) has offered us a venue. More details to follow.

Committee meeting minutes

  • There was a lot of discussion about how to encourage others to join the meeting. One idea was of a core group coming to the meeting and then, through social media e.g. What’s app, engaging others with what’s happening in the meeting. From that we passed a proposal to attract a rep from each region by inviting each one to join in a Committee Meeting on What’s App chat
  • Alison Garside is leaving NEC in March 2016 so there will be a vacancy
  • Alison Campbell is sending out a new Survey Monkey about the needs that Midlands members feel they have e.g. re CPD. We discussed the questions she might include. The results are to be turned around by Nov 25th (next committee meeting)
  • We discussed a number of different themes and speakers for future Twilights
  • The suggestion was made that all claims are dealt with centrally rather than going through the cheque book system. The Treasurer is in favour of this system. It will take a little while to set up.
Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell – Midland Rep

Back to Latest

19.09.15

Regional/National information and events report

We have recently welcomed two new committee members – Helen Cooper (formerly Longwill School and now working for Solihull) and Jo Keyte (Worcestershire).

Alison Garside, our new treasurer has ensured an easy transition of the accounts from Rob Miller. Signatories on the account have been updated.

We will be meeting on 7th October to:

  • plan the next twilight
  • discuss dissemination of a SurveyMonkey questionnaire to find out local members’ views on preferred format for BATOD Midland insets
  • consider possible use of Skype to enable members to participate in committee meetings if they are unable to attend in person.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Committee meeting: 7th October 2015

Venue: Angie Wootten’s home, Solihull

Further committee meetings and INSET to be planned.

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell – Midland Rep

Back to Latest

13.06.15

We planned to hold a committee meeting for trainee Teachers of the Deaf on their Residential at the University of Birmingham on Jan 7th. However, this did not happen owing to prohibitive prices.

On March 10th we held a Midlands committee meeting in Solihull (see below).

On April 21st we tried our first Skype meeting! This was an experiment but one which may be useful for future meetings.

We held our May Twilight on May 20th at the University of Birmingham with Trish Cope as the keynote speaker. This was our AGM. We re-introduced the BATOD website including the ToD Forum for ToDs who may feel isolated.

Committee meeting report

The last minutes that we have relate to the meeting held on March 10th as no minutes were made for the Skype meeting.

Significant points were these:

  • We are being encouraged to bank online by BATOD’s treasurer.
  • Rob Miller is leaving his role as Midlands Treasurer and handing the role onto Alison Garside. They are due to arrange a handover. (Achieved)
  • NEC reports that they want to support regional groups at Twilight, possibly by supporting different types of technology to support networking. There are about 170 members in the area so how do we keep in touch and support people?
  • University course coordinators might encourage students to go to Twilights.
  • Sue Lewis has offered to give a session.
  • NEC members have set themselves the task of recruiting 1 member from each LA.
  • We discussed arrangements for our Twilight on May 20th. Trish Cope to speak on ‘Linking Listening to Language’.
  • At our Skype meeting on April 21st we were to discuss catering for this event.
Feedback from the services and provisions

Worcestershire Services for HI CYP (Pat Lloyd)

Worcestershire County Council is currently in the process of commissioning out all their services to independent providers. The timescales for this process has been extended and will not conclude in March 2015, as previously indicated. The Council is currently in a period of formal negotiation with interested providers, in line with WCC procurement procedures, and not in a position to release tender documentation. They will provide an update for staff and stakeholders when more information is available. It is hoped that this process will be completed by the end of October 2015.

Worcestershire Hearing Impairment Team meanwhile continues to deliver high quality services to their hearing impaired CYP whilst these negotiations are ongoing. It is definitely business as usual for all our HI children.

Lesley McDermott - Team’s Principal Teacher

Warwickshire (Angie Wootten)

One member of the team is training as an Educational Audiologist, giving two Ed Auds on the team eventually. Two members of staff are training as ToDs on the University of Birmingham course.

The two family groups, Little Ears and Ear We Go, are going well. We are currently planning a summer event.

Back to Latest

15.03.15

We cancelled the committee meeting in January scheduled during the residential week of the Birmingham ToD course. This was because the cost was prohibitive.

  • Committee meetings report

    Our next committee meeting is due at the end of March to plan other twilights in addition to our May twilight. We are building up the committee and now have nine regular members from Worcestershire, Warwickshire, Birmingham, Staffordshire, Leicester City and Leicestershire County, Oxfordshire and Dudley.

  • Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    Twilight and AGM on Wed 20th May 2015 Trish has offered us 'Linking listening to language' as a talk or an audiological update. University of Birmingham, School of Education, Room 139

    Back to Latest

    05.12.14

    We are going to hold our next Committee Meeting at the Residential (Hornton Grange) for trainee teachers of the deaf at the Univ of Birmingham on Jan 7th. Our meeting will be at 6.30 and students will be invited to join us and we will join students in the bar. The idea is that trainee teachers of the deaf will be able to see the active part we play in deaf education and the role that they might also play.

    We plan to hold our May Twilight at the University of Birmingham with Trish Cope as the keynote speaker. This will also be our AGM. We will re-introducing the BATOD website and re-emphasizing the ToD Forum for ToDs who may feel isolated.

  • Committee meetings report

    We dealt with matters of correspondence and questions, some from NEC. In the treasurers report Rob Miller told us that he had received full remittance from BATOD for the levy due. Alison Garside volunteered to be the new treasurer on a temporary basis. Grateful thanks were extended. Alison and Rob are now affecting a gradual handover.

    The role of Chair remains unfilled since Cate Latchford’s departure. Committee members are currently ‘rotating’ the role. We are sorry that Carina Newman is not able to continue with us. She is taking time out from the profession.

    Feedback from the services and provisions

    • Oxfordshire:the problem is still with recruitment. Two f/t posts have recently not been filled.
    • Worcestershire: are building up to a ‘full recovery service’ or a traded service. Nobody knows yet but they have been told that no-one will be made redundant. One member of staff has trained as an Ed Aud and meanwhile the team has moved to County Hall.
    • Stoke on Trent: There are 5 members of staff. There is no HoS. They are moving in May to a site with no car park. ‘Agile’ working is being promoted whereby staff are allowed to do their admin in a school or car park but not at home.
    • Leicester City: has appointed a new Ed Aud from January to work alongside Rob. There are no vacant posts. Six venues have been established for hearing aid fitting.
    • Warwickshire: has one member of staff training as an Ed Aud and two newly appointed teachers are training as Teachers of the Deaf. A primary aged social group for children and their families. It is called Ear We Go and is run by the parents.

  • Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    Twilight and AGM on Wed 20th May 2015 Trish has offered us 'Linking listening to language' as a talk or an audiological update. University of Birmingham, School of Education, Room 139

    Back to Latest

    27.09.14

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      We are sorry to lose Cate Latchford as our Chairperson. She has left the profession to take up new interests. She served us well for a number of years and we will miss her. Her departure was marked by BATOD NEC at our Twilight in May and thanks were extended. It was marked again in July by the Midland Committee at the Village Inn in Moseley, Birmingham. Cate’s departure leaves a large gap and at present we have no chairperson, but are rotating the chair’s role at meetings between us.

      We held our Twilight session in May 2014 at the School of Education. It was very well received. Andrea Baker presented a very positive and useful workshop about EHC plans.

      Alison C has submitted a report. The AGM was held at this meeting.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Treasurer’s Report: Rob Miller has had correspondence with Karen about the levy. Rob mentioned the signatories to the bank account, a situation which needs updating. Carina Newman has offered to shadow Rob as treasurer with the aim of becoming treasurer. We voted in this suggestion. Thanks are extended to Carina.

      Paul Simpson has sent a list of the current registered email users on the BATOD website so that we can use these to distribute invitations etc. Action: we need to test these email addresses to see how many work. Alison and Alison will use the list to send out an email to the BATOD Midland email address. Members will be asked about possible themes for future BATOD events. We will track the undeliverable ones to the users. They will be sent within two weeks.

      Our next meeting will be held on Wed 12th November. The venue is Room 139 of the School of Education UoB. The Alisons may make an open invitation via this meeting and invite at least one member from each LA to this meeting. The next meeting will be: Wed 4th February.

      Carina raised the question as to whether teachers in units would welcome a forum to meet together and support each other.

      Angie mentioned the link with the University of Birmingham. She suggested that the BATOD committee meeting be held during the trainee Teacher of the Deaf residential in January so that new recruits to BATOD could see what happens at a committee meeting.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      Twilight and AGM on Wed 20th May 2015 Carina has offered us 'Linking listening to language' as a talk or an audiological update. University of Birmingham, School of Education, Room 139

      Report by NEC representative, Alison Campbell

    Back to Latest

    14.06.14

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      BATOD Midland held a successful twilight on Wednesday 21st May where BATOD President Andrea Baker shared her knowledge of Education, Health and Care Plans with ToDs from across the region. We had delegates from most LAs and are intending to target those LAs who didn’t send representatives for future twilights.

      Midlands Rep Alison Campbell shared the new BATOD website presentation and there was discussion about the ToD email forum and uploading of resources to be shared. The presentation was subsequently emailed to members on our email list so that it could be shared with teams across the region.

    2. Committee meetings report

      We welcomed a new committee member from the Ewing Foundation and are currently recruiting for a new Chair as well as a Treasurer. Cate Latchford will be standing down as Chair of BATOD Midland from the end of this academic year and Robert Miller is due for re-election. We are seeking someone to shadow him for a year before he stands down.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      None planned yet.

    4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      None

      Report by NEC representative, Alison Campbell

    Back to Latest

    09/03/14

    1. Regional/National information and events report
      Following committee meeting 20.11.13: Nothing significant to report since our last meeting.

      Following committee meeting 05.02.14: With regards to our representation at NEC Alison Campbell volunteered to do this. We are very grateful for this.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Following committee meeting 20.11.13: Rob Miller advises us that the funding situation has not improved. No further funds have been received and funds now stand at £296.18.
      Correspondence relating to this from Karen Taylor and Paul Simpson was discussed.

      Following committee meeting 05.02.14: Treasurer’s Report: Correspondence has now been received from Carol Thomson to rectify the funding situation. Rob has been keen to make sure that funds are forthcoming to make sure that we have a decent working balance of £1000. This is to be discussed at the next NEC. We will hold our AGM in May 2014. The financial year will run from August 2012 to April 2014.

      Feedback from the Services

      • Percy Shurmer Academy
        Very positive review of the academy. Numbers are to be capped to 30 to achieve a good adult to child ratio. HT is being positive about holding Twilight at Percy Shurmer.

        Following committee meeting 05.02.14: The situation with the resource base is still uncertain. There is concern amongst staff in the HRB that they will be asked to teach children in the rest of the school to the detriment of the children in the HRB. Suggestions made at meeting: make sure the statementing officer is present at annual reviews, ensure that the governor for special needs is aware, ensure that parents are aware. CHSYWG involvement.

      • Leicestershire
        Morale has been OK although caseloads are large and the job is demanding. The situation is still pending with the service while we wait for the impact of the new bill. A really good service is still being offered. A teacher has been appointed who is willing to train as a ToD.

      • Worcestershire
        Restructuring is occurring but the service is told it is 'safe for now'. One member of the team is off on a long term basis and one ToD is training as an Ed Aud. A temporary team leader has now been appointed who is a ToD. The new Operational Leader is very pro deaf children. Main base is now being shared.

      • Telford and Wrekin
        New teacher has been appointed to the team who is training.
        Shropshire's arrangement with Telford and Wrekin is subject to audit soon. NATSIP is being used as a tool.

      • Warwickshire
        We are currently recruiting a new teacher for the team. One member of the team is training as an Ed Aud.
        Positive morale. The team is 'on the up'.

      • Oxfordshire
        Very busy.
        Still waiting for the local offer plan.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      21 May 2014, 5.30-7.30 pm Pathfinders and the Single Plan - Andrea Baker; NDCS: ‘Raising achievement in secondary schools’ clips; AGM Room 139, School of Education, University of Birminghamcate Latchford

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

      What do colleagues do about supporting children in academies? Do they treat academies in the same way as local authority schools or do they charge? Do they have a Service Level Agreement? It's being suggested that we should be charging so I'd like to get a feel for what's happening across the region? Response from Consultant: Academies should not be charged for any services provided to deaf children unless this occurs in maintained schools. There must be parity across the LA.

      Back to Latest

    09/11/13

    1. Regional/National information and events report
      Twilight in Oxford on June 12th 2013

      It was an excellent evening. The food was brilliant and the talks were first class. A question was raised as to whether the Oxford service was 'out of pocket' by the end of the evening. We were reassured that this was not the case. We also discussed whether the Midlands committee should take overall responsibility for the evening and introduce the evening. The suggestion was made that we have name badges another time. The question as to whether trade stands should be invited was also discussed.

    2. Committee meetings report

      We will hold our AGM in May 2014. The financial year will run from August 2012 to April 2014.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      21 May 2014LiteracyPercy Shurmer School, BirminghamAlison Campbell

    4. 1. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

      Regional funding and costs.

    Back to Latest

    08-05-13

    1. Regional/National information and events report - nothing to report.

    2. Committee meetings report

      It was a stimulating meeting with thoughts expressed re the recent BATOD conference in Birmingham and ideas for accreditation of training.
      Final arrangements were confirmed for the forthcoming Twilight in Oxford.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      June 12th 2013The use of ipads with students.
      NATSIP programme: Think right, feel good
      Social and emotional aspects for teenagers.
      Mid Oxon Resource Base, Cherwell School, Summertown, Oxford OX2 7EEContact Alison Garside
      if you are hoping to attend. Fee- £5
      Contact Alison if need an interpreter by 24th May.

    4. News from the region was as follows:

      1. Birmingham (Janet Butterfield)
        • Janet informed us of her retirement and also from the committee. 1 f/t post and another p/t post will be advertised. Contact Cherry Thomas for details. cherrythomas@birmingham.gov.uk

      2. Leicestershire (Pauline Wells)
        • Baking for Deaf Awareness week.
        • Swimathon for cancer research.
        • Pre-school group is developing well.

      3. Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire (Cate Latchford)
        • Big social event through Social Inclusion
        • Sponsored walk has raised good amount.
        • Carina Newman gained money from Phonak for digital aids in Rodrigues.

      4. Warwickshire (Angie Wootten)
        • Investigating cluster schools as a way of organizing Big Ears (a Primary aged group).
        • Recruiting for a 0.6 ToD post from September.

      5. Solihull (Alison Merchant)
        • Currently looking into having ipads.
        • Andrea Baker is working on the Pathfinder project for the Single Business Plans

      6. Percy Shurmer School (Birmingham) (Alison Campbell)
        • Have a new Headteacher.

    5. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

      • How do other services modify certain aspects of Y6 English SAT in Sign?
        Can the wording of the questions be modified (Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire)
      • Over the next 12 months, how are services placed financially?
        Do services have any differentiation between the number of visits for ToDs and teaching assistants per day? (Birmingham)
      • How do services deal with covering the costs of losses/breakages to FM equipment?
        Does anyone charge schools or families? (Warks)
      • How could we go about creating an accreditation process for our training sessions? Accreditation seems to be the way to go to encourage people to attend.

      Why not join and use the ToD email forum . This provides a direct email link to all ToD members and they will respond either openly to the whole list or else off-list directly.

      Back to Latest

      08-02-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report - nothing to report

      2. Committee meetings report

        We were very pleased to welcome back among us Rob Miller who is now recovering from health problems. In his role as treasurer he expressed his difficulty in securing a BATOD levy this year.

        Discussion centred around volunteering for the National BATOD conference in Birmingham on March 9th and on our forthcoming June Twilght in Oxfordshire (See below for details).

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        June 12th 2013The use of ipads with students.
        NATSIP programme: Think right, feel good
        Social and emotional aspects for teenagers.
        Mid Oxon Resource Base, Cherwell School, Summertown, Oxford OX2 7EEContact Alison Garside
        if you are hoping to attend. Fee- £5
        Contact Alison if need an interpreter by 24th May.

      4. News from the region was as follows:

        1. Leicester City (Rob Millar)
          • A new audiology facility to be shared between City and NHS is ‘out to consultation’ at present. This would be a positive move if it is approved.

        2. Leicestershire (Pauline Wells)
          • The situation re changes is still ‘pending’.

        3. Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire (Cate Latchford)
          • All Primary age children about to get together for a day together.
          • Going to be part of a LENA trial – (for tracking the amount of interaction with a child by parent in a day).

        4. Oxfordshire (Alison Garside)
          • Restructuring has produced positive results.
          • A stable situation.
          • Central funding has been maintained.

        5. Warwickshire (Angie Wootten)
          • Up until recently the situation re cuts had been relatively stable. However, further cuts have just been announced which has already impacted.

        6. Birmingham (Janet Butterfield)
          • A DVD has been developed for support in secondary schools (different subjects). Available at Easter through NDCS.

        7. Percy Shurmer School (Birmingham) (Alison Campbell)
          • This Primary School with a resource base has become an academy.

      5. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

        • How do other services modify certain aspects of Y6 English SAT in Sign? Can the wording of the questions be modified (Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire)
        • Over the next 12 months, how are services placed financially?
        • Do services have any differentiation between the number of visits for ToDs and teaching assistants per day? (Birmingham)

      Back to Latest