BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

Report to NEC by BATOD North representatives Sandy Goler and Sue Denny

Latest

10-06-17

Regional/National information and events report:

Planning continues for our Study Day to be held on Wednesday November 8th 2017 at The Textile Centre, Huddersfield. The topic this time will be “Teaching Deaf Children today” and we are delighted that Wendy McCracken has agreed to deliver the Keynote address. We are busy arranging workshops and also will be inviting exhibitors to attend, as this was very successful last year. We also will be offering a substantial Early Bird reduction for our members, as a thank you for their continued support of these days!

We have set up a BATOD North Facebook page – do please visit it and “like” us!

Our membership is good and continues to increase steadily.

2. Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings and from the AGM are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning of the next Study Day.
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

We have a keen and active committee, and have recently increased our membership to 12, from an interestingly broad range of backgrounds, reflecting the diversity of provision in the region. As well as our committee meetings, we keep in regular contact via email and this does seem to work well, given the size of the region.

Our Committee meetings are held in the relaxed atmosphere of a hotel lounge, near Huddersfield, where we can discuss our events over tea and toast, or even coffee and a cake!

3. Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
17 June, Sept/Oct 2017Committee meetings re: Study Day “Teaching Deaf Children Today”Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield Committee members
8 November 2017BATOD North Study Day “Teaching Deaf Children Today”The Textile Centre Huddersfield Open to all BATOD members and non-members

4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

What are the best ways to email the members en masse? (Having had numerous “hacking” events on my email account I am anxious to explore the best and most secure ways to correspond with members!)

12-03-17

Regional/National information and events report:

Following our successful Study Day last November, BATOD North is busy planning our next event - a Study day to be held on Wednesday November 8th 2017 at The Textile Centre, Huddersfield. The topic this time will be “Teaching Deaf Children today” and we are delighted that Wendy McCracken has agreed to deliver the Keynote address. We are busy arranging Workshops, largely drawing on the feedback from members last November to inform the workshop content. We also will be offering a substantial Early Bird reduction for our members, as a thank you for their continued support of these days!

We would also like to trial regular electronic Newsletters to our Members and would appreciate any tips from Regions or Nations which already do this!

We have welcomed several new members to the Committee and now have a solid, hard working group of 12! We correspond mainly by email between our regular Committee meetings.

Several Committee members will have attended the Conference this weekend, helping with bag-packing, registration and with chairing the Breakout sessions.

Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings and from the AGM are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning of the next Study Day.
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

We have a keen and active Committee, and have recently increased our membership to 12, from an interestingly broad range of backgrounds, reflecting the diversity of provision in the Region. As well as our Committee meetings, we keep in regular contact via email and this does seem to work well, given the size of the Region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
11 March 2017Committee meeting for members present to review and continue planning for November Study DayManchester Conference Centre Committee members
11 March 2017National ConferenceManchester Conference Centre Committee members to assist on the day
May/June 2017; Sept/Oct 2017 tba Committee meetings re: Study Day “Teaching Deaf Children Today”Cedar Court Hotel Huddersfield Committee members
8 November 2017BATOD North Study Day “Teaching Deaf Children TodayThe Textile Centre, Huddersfield Open to all BATOD members and non-members

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

National Conference March 2017 – encouraging attendance from local members Maintaining contact with members

03-12-16

Regional/National information and events report:

BATOD North hosted a very successful Study Day on November 10th at The Textile Centre in Huddersfield. Over 70 delegates attended to hear talks and attend workshops on the theme of “Assessment Revisited” and the feedback was overwhelmingly positive. As an innovation, we also welcomed eight exhibitors to the Centre and their evaluation was unanimous that they felt it was well worth their time to attend. The presence of the exhibitors in the Reception area gave a real “buzz” to the event and we already have commitments from the exhibitors to attend again - indeed two have already volunteered their services as workshop providers for next year!

The AGM was held in conjunction with the Study Day and was well attended - by far the majority of the attendees would appear to be BATOD members! We also had offers to join the Committee from three members, which is most welcome!

Many thanks to the Committee for all their hard work in making the day such a success!

Several Committee members will be attending the March Conference in Manchester to help with registration on the days. Many thanks to NEC for enabling this!

Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings and from the AGM are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning of the next Study Day.
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

We have a keen and active Committee, which remains static at around nine members. As well as our Committee meetings, we keep in regular contact via email and this does seem to work well, given the size of the Region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
21 January 2017Committee meeting to make arrangements for March Conference and start planning for November Study DayCedar Court, Ainley Top, Huddersfield Committee Members
10-11 March 2017National ConferenceManchester Committee members to assist on the day
8 November 2017BATOD North Study Day tbaThe Textile Centre, Huddersfield Open to all BATOD members and non-members.

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

National Conference March 2017 – encouraging attendance from local members Maintaining contact with members

24-09-16

Regional/National information and events report:

The Committee met on 17th September to bring together details of our next Study Day, “Assessment Revisited” which will be held on Thursday 10th November at the Textile Centre in Huddersfield. We have arranged a very interesting collection of speakers and workshops for this event, and hope to attract our usual high number of members and other professionals. Feedback has already been very positive! We have also, as an innovation, invited exhibitors to attend for a fee and have had a good response to this, despite a clash of dates with another Conference.

The details and Application Form are on the BATOD website and can be downloaded from the BATOD North page and the Calendar – please do have a look and pass on to any of your colleagues who may be interested in attending!

The Committee will be working with the organisers of the National Conference will be held in Manchester in March 2017 and will be manning the Reception desk and generally helping out!

BATOD North currently has 296 members – and rising! – which makes it a little worrying that we can only attract a small portion of these – usually 65-70 – to our events. All members are contacted via email; however, we do still have 33 members for whom we have no email contact and 14 for whom the email contact is wrong!

The Chair, Secretary and North rep also recently collaborated to update the information for the BATOD North pages on the website.

Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning of the next Study Day.
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

We have a keen and active Committee, which remains static at around 9 members. As well as our Committee meetings, we keep in regular contact via email and this does seem to work well, given the size of the Region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
10 November 2016Assessment revisitedThe Textile Centre, HuddersfieldCommittee Members and BATOD website
10 November 2016Committee meeting (and tea!) to debrief and summarise daytba HuddersfieldCommittee Members
January 2017Committee meeting to make arrangements for March Conference and start planning for November Study Day Cedar Court, Ainley Top, Huddersfield Committee Members

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

National Conference March 2017 – encouraging attendance from local members Maintaining contact with members

18-06-16

Regional/National information and events report:

The Committee met in May to bring together our ideas for our next Study Day, “Assessment Revisited” which will be held on Thursday 10th November at the Textile Centre in Huddersfield. Due to the enthusiasm and coercive skills of our Committee members, we have lots of brilliant speakers and workshops in the pipeline for this event, which we hope will be of real interest and use to our members, both teachers and other professionals. We hope that the President, Stuart Whyte will also be able to attend our AGM and address our members in the North!

The details and Application Form are already in place on the BATOD website – please do have a look and pass on to any of your colleagues who may be interested in attending!

As an innovation we are also actively looking into having a number of exhibitors present on the day and hope this will help to offset some of the expenses of the day.

The Committee is also aware that the National Conference will be held in Manchester in March 2017 and are more than happy to provide whatever assistance required. (Morris Dancers available on request!!)

Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning of the next Study Day
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts

We are delighted that our Committee has increased in size and we have some very enthusiastic new members! As well as our Committee meetings, we keep in regular contact via email and this does seem to work well, given the size of the Region (though it can be a challenge to keep email contacts up to date!).

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
17 September 2016Planning and final arrangements for 2016 Study Day(10/11/16); Assessment revisited Cedar Court, Ainley Top, Huddersfield Committee members
10 November 2016Assessment revisitedThe Textile Centre, HuddersfieldCommittee members

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

National Conference March 2017 – level of involvement from BATOD North Committee if required.

13-03-16

Regional/National information and events report:

Following yet another very successful study day in November 2015, when Gary Anderson was our keynote speaker on the topic of “Empowering Deaf Children and Young People: Policy into Practice”, the Committee has agreed to follow the same format for next year. Analysis of the evaluations from the study day was again overwhelmingly positive on all aspects of the day and a report of the day has been submitted for the magazine/website. After some discussion, we have agreed on a similar date - Thursday November 10th - and the same venue - The Textile Centre Huddersfield - for 2016 with a working title of “Assessment Revisited”. Our membership continues to grow and our finances remain healthy! In addition, we have welcomed several new committee members and interest in BATOD North remains high!

Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning the next Study Day
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

We are always happy to welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member. We have been delighted that we have attracted several new committee members recently and also are pleased to welcome Marie Wilkinson as our NEC guest in Cardiff.

We are also excited by the prospect of a possible joint conference in Manchester in March 2017 and will be happy to assist in any way possible!

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
7 May 2016Planning for 2016 Conference (10/11/16); Assessment revisited Ainley Top, Huddersfield Committee members
Summer/Autumn 2016Further meetings as required to complete planning and organisation for Study Daytba Committee members
12 November 2016Assessment revisitedThe Textile CentreCommittee members

13-06-15

Regional/National information and events report:

We are pleased that BATOD membership continues to grow in the North and we feel we continue to be a very healthy Region. We plan to continue with the format of a Conference/Study Day in November and to remain in the Huddersfield area as this is as close as one can get to central in such a big region!

We are hoping to trial an additional single topic training day in the North East but it has proven more difficult to organise than we anticipated. We shall however persevere and hope to go ahead with this idea in the future. We could then consider something similar in the North West/Cumbria area, as we are aware it is difficult for all our members to access our events.

Committee meetings report

Minutes for committee meetings are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

  • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
  • planning of the next Study Day.
  • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

    We are always happy to welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Sue Denny, Trish Cope or any committee member. We welcomed Toni Davies from Lancashire to the Committee at our last meeting.

    We would also like to consider how best to keep in touch with the members and to look at the practicalities of keeping in more regular contact via email! We do try to keep contacts and email addresses up to date, but it is quite a big job!

    We are delighted that Gary Anderson has agreed to be the Keynote Speaker at our November Study Day and are looking forward to it already!

    Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    25/06/15Planning and arrangements for 2015 Conference (12/11/15) Cedar Court Ainley Top Huddersfield Committee members
    12/11/15Empowering C&YP with Hearing Loss: Policy into Practice Keynote Speaker: Gary AndersonThe Textile Centre, Huddersfield Committee members
    Spring 2016Single focus study day for North East memberstbaCommittee members

    15-03-15

    Regional/National information and events report:

    Following our very successful study day in November 2014 the Committee has agreed to follow the same format for next year and has agreed on a date and the same venue for 2015. Analysis of the evaluations from the study day was overwhelmingly positive on all aspects of the day. A report of the day has been submitted for the magazine/website. Following review of our finances – which are very healthy – the committee is looking at running a single topic training day in the North East (an area where we get low representation at our study days) which would be free to members but we would encourage non-members to join by waiving the course fee if they join BATOD on the day.

    We have also looked in detail at the Constitution and following a couple of queries we are happy with it as it now stands.

    Committee meetings report

    Minutes for committee meetings are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year focus on

    • reviewing and evaluating our Study Day
    • planning the next Study Day.
    • reviewing and updating membership contacts.

    We would welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member. We have been delighted that we have recently welcomed Lindsey Jones to the Committee from the North East as the representation from this area of the Region has been low in recent years and we want to actively promote involvement there.

    We would also like to know the best way to keep track of Resource base/unit contacts, as this seems very hard to keep up to date! We do have contacts for Heads of Service but not for all the DRBs and units in our Region.

    We would welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member.

    Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    28/03/15Planning for 2015 Conference (12/11/15) Planning for North East Study Day (tba) Ainley TopCommittee members
    Summer 2015Gateway to Grammar/Understanding and using ACE 6-11tbaCommittee members
    12/11/15Empowering C&YP with Hearing Loss: Policy into Practice (provisional title)The Textile CentreCommittee members

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none at present.

    Back to Latest

    05-12-14

    1. Regional/National information and events report:

      On November 13th, 56 delegates attended another successful annual conference organised by the BATOD North committee. The AGM was held before the start of the afternoon session with the present officers continuing in post.

      The keynote speaker was Helen Chilton, speaking about her research on understanding and using a multi-dimensional approach to Theory of Mind development for deaf children. Helen spoke about recent classroom based research which shows the integral nature of the role of Teachers of the Deaf in supporting and understanding the progression of the skills to promote theory of the mind and strategies that Teachers of the Deaf use to enhance this development.

      Following a break for refreshments, delegates chose two workshops to attend from the 6 on offer. As usual the complaint was that everyone wanted to attend more than 2!

      The workshops included:

      • Optimal attainment for deaf children with additional/complex needs
      • Audiological Management: Little Things Mean a Lot
      • Theory of mind: The beginnings
      • Home supporting: leave your toys in the car
      • Emotional Literacy
      • An ecological approach to describing and assessing deaf children's bimodal bilingual language development.

      We were delighted to welcome Andrea to the conference.

      Minutes for committee meetings are available from committee members if requested. Meetings during the year have focused on

      • reviewing and evaluating the 2013 conference
      • planning of the next conference.

      We would welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Minutes for the meetings on 01/02/14, 22/03/14 and 26/06/14 are available from committee members if requested. The meetings focused on

      • reviewing and evaluating the 2013 conference
      • planning of the next conference.

      We would welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      24 January 2015 Evaluation of 2014 Conference and preliminary planning for 2015 Conference planningAinley TopCommittee members

      Back to Latest

      27-09-14

      1. Regional/National information and events report:

        Nothing to report

      2. Committee meetings report

        Minutes for the meetings on 01/02/14, 22/03/14 and 26/06/14 are available from committee members if requested. The meetings focused on

        • reviewing and evaluating the 2013 conference
        • planning of the next conference.

        We would welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        16 September 2014 Conference planningAinley TopCommittee members
        13th November 2014ConferenceTextile Centre, HuddersfieldSecretary

        • Application forms for the conference are available on the website or from Trish Cope
        • A list of speakers and workshops also available on the website

      4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none at present.

      Back to Latest

      14-06-14

      1. Regional/National information and events report:

        Nothing to report

      2. Committee meetings report

        Minutes for the meetings on 01/02/14 and 22/03/14 are available from committee members if requested. The meetings focused on

        • reviewing and evaluating the 2013 conference
        • planning of the next conference.

        We would welcome new committee members – anyone interested should contact Trish Cope or any committee member.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        26 June 2014 Conference planning Ainsley MoorCommittee members
        13th November 2014ConferenceTextile Centre, HuddersfieldSecretary

      4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none at present.

      Back to Latest

      08-06-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report:

        Nothing to report

      2. Committee meetings report

        Minutes for meeting on 13/05/13 available from committee members if requested. The meeting focused on:

        • reviewing and evaluating the 2012 conference
        • planning of the next conference day. Possible speakers to include: Wendy McCracken, staff from Longwill, Mark Varley & Maria Cameron, ACE Oldham

        • Planned events for the next 12 months

          Datetopic venue contact
          27 June 2013 Conference planning Hartshead MoorCommittee members
          Wednesday 14h November 2013Technology for Deaf Children Deighton Centre HuddersfieldSue Denny and Trish Cope

        • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none at present.

      Back to Latest

      Report to NEC by Elaine Rayner, BATOD North Chair

      Latest

      10-03-13

      1. Regional/National information and events report:

        BATOD North continues to thrive and we held a successful and very well attended Region “Study Day” on Wednesday 7th November 2012 at The Deighton Centre in Huddersfield. The theme for the day was “The Whole Deaf Child” and our keynote speaker was Danny Lane from “Music and the Deaf” The day attracted 78 delegates including a large contingent from Manchester who came by coach! Evaluations from the day were largely positive and the Committee are now busy planning our next event and drawing up the programme.

      2. Committee meetings report

        Committee members met on Saturday 2nd March 2013 at our usual venue at Hartshead Moor Services on the M62, an earlier meeting having had to be cancelled due to extreme weather! The Committee welcomed 2 new members to the meeting, with a 3rd new member also keen to join us for future meetings and we had a lively and productive meeting looking at the Outcomes from our Study day, discussing issues arising and planning our next event.

      3. Planned events for the next 12 months

        Datetopic venue contact
        Wednesday 14h NovemberTechnology for Deaf Children Deighton Centre HuddersfieldSue Denny and Trish Cope

        Information and registration forms for the conference are available via the BATOD web calendar.

      4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none at present.

      Back to Latest