BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

Reports to NEC by BATOD Scotland representatives

Latest

10-06-17

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Full Day Conference in Jury’s Inn, Aberdeen, 13 May 2017 on Promoting Positive Wellbeing.

    Very good day, well attended and well received. Lots of very positive feedback on speakers and venue. Katherine Roger spoke on the importance of wellbeing for Deaf children and Tina Hendry spoke on reattachment. Stuart addressed the meeting before lunch.

    Event held in Aberdeen as people from outwith the Central Belt felt they were disadvantaged by living so far from there (where we tend to hold most of our events). Most of the delegates had travelled from the Central Belt to attend. We intend to look at other locations at our next committee meeting, to try to find a town/city which will suit most people.

  2. Committee meetings report

    13 May 17. 7/9 members present.

    Discussed feedback from the conference and put plans in place to investigate speaker/topic/venue for November. It was suggested that we try again to get members’ views on topic/location, this time using Survey Monkey.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    26th August 2017Committee meetingNDCS Offices, GlasgowJean McAllister
    30th September 2017Committee meetingJean McAllister
    November 2017Half day conferencetbaJean McAllister

  4. Issues which the Regional committee wishes the NEC to consider: None at present.

Back to Latest

12-03-17

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    CPGD (Cathie Finestone and Carol Thomson) - BSL (Scotland) Act update: The draft plan will be published in BSL and English and go out for consultation in March 2017. It needs to be published by 22nd October 2017. Education is a priority in the BSL National Plan. Lessons have been learned from the Gaelic (Scotland) Act. The government is not going to carry out a BSL audit; it will be up to individual public bodies if they want to audit their deaf/BSL services.

    CPGD met with CPG on Mental Health and CPG on Children and Young People to raise the profile of deaf children and the need for a Deaf Children and Adolescent Mental Health Service in Scotland.

    PASAG (Cathie Finestone and Jean McAllister) 3 working groups set up, JMcA will represent BATOD on Auditory Processing Disorders – guidance, tests, management

  2. Committee meetings report

    28 January 17. 7/9 members present. Concluding arrangements for May conference.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    25th March 2017Committee meetingNDCS Offices, Glasgow
    29th April 2017Committee meeting
    13th May 2017Full day conferenceJury's Inn, AberdeenJean McAllister
    November 2017Half day conferenceJury's Inn, AberdeenJean McAllister

  4. Issues which the Regional committee wishes the NEC to consider: None at present.

Back to Latest

03-12-16

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    We held our half day conference and AGM in Glasgow on 19 November on the topic of Outcome Measures used by audiologists and ToDs. It was well attended and we received very positive feedback. We also had a BATOD birthday cake which went down very well, our thanks to Carol.

    The CPGD is due to meet again in December and we will be represented as usual by Carol Thomson and Cathie Finestone.

  2. Committee meetings report

    19 November 2016. 8/9 members present.

    Making arrangements for May conference. No firm decision on Speaker/Topic as we are waiting to hear back from people. Discussed our response to a Scottish Government survey on schools.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    28th January 2017Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowJean McAllister
    25th March 2017Committee meeting
    22nd April 2017Committee meeting
    13th May 2017Full day conferenceJury's Inn, AberdeenJean McAllister

  4. Issues which the Regional committee wishes the NEC to consider: None at present.

Back to Latest

24-09-16

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Heather Grey has moved on from her post as Regional Director of the NDCS for Scotland and Northern Ireland and has been replaced by Angela Bonomy as Interim Director until December 2016. Angela is welcome to attend our meetings as Heather has in the past and we look forward to working with her.

  2. Committee meetings report

    3 September 2016. 8/9 members present. Making arrangements for future conferences.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    29th October 2016Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    19th November 2016Half day conferenceGlasgow/FalkirkJean McAllister
    13th May 2017Full day conferenceAberdeen (tbc)Jean McAllister

  4. Issues which the Regional committee wishes the NEC to consider: None at present.

Back to Latest

18-06-16

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Cathie Finestone attended a meeting of the Cross Party Group in Deafness, regarding the attainment of deaf children.

    Cathie Finestone and Jean McAllister attended Paediatric Audiology Services Advisory group, discussing services to deaf children.

    Full day conference in Glasgow on “Theory of Mind” on 14 May 2016. Keynote speaker was Dr Gary Morgan from UCL. Excellent day, well attended and very positive feedback from delegates.

  2. Committee meetings report

    30 April 2016 7/9 members present.

    Completed arrangements for May conference on “Theory of Mind”

    11 June 2016 7/9 members present.

    Discussed May conference feedback.

    Discussed ½ day conference in November, topics, venue etc.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    3rd September 2016Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    29th October 2016Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    19th November 2016Half day conferenceGlasgow/FalkirkJean McAllister
    13th May 2017Full day conferenceGlasgow/FalkirkJean McAllister

  4. Issues which the Regional committee wishes the NEC to consider: None.

Back to Latest

13-03-16

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Cathie Finestone attended a meeting on the role out of BSL.

    Cathie Finestone attended a meeting on attainment of deaf children, looking at the numbers of qualified ToDs.

  2. Committee meetings report

    6 Feb 16. 7/9 members present.

    Completed arrangements for May conference on “Theory of Mind”. To be held in Glasgow, forms to be out by mid March and returned by 22 April.

    .

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    19th March 2016Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    23rd April 2016Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    14th May 2016Full day conferenceGlasgowJean McAllister

  4. Issues which the Regional committee wishes the NEC to consider: None.

Back to Latest

5-12-15

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

Regional/National information and events report

Carol Thomson and Cathie Finestone have attended the Cross Party Group on Deafness at the Scottish Parliament. Cathie Finestone has also attended SCOD meetings.

Committee meetings report

24 October. 7/9 members present.

Discussed arrangements for November half day conference and AGM.

Started to plan May 16 full day conference on “Theory of Mind”.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
30th January 2016Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
14th May 2016Full day conferenceGlasgowJean McAllister

Back to Latest

19-09-15

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

Regional/National information and events report

Carol Thomson and Cathie Finestone have attended the Cross Party Group on Deafness at the Scottish Parliament, matters discussed were BSL (Scotland) Bill and the lack of specialist SLT and a training programme.

Cathie Finestone has also attended SCOD meetings.

Cathie Finestone and Jean McAllister attended a PASAG meeting in Glasgow in August – matters discussed included issues with the Audiology Dept at the new Royal Hospital for Children in Glasgow and ongoing concerns with the cochlear implant programme.

Committee meetings report

13 July. 4/9 members present.

Discussed the FOI request to be sent out by NDCS to Local Authorities regarding funding for services.

29 August. 7/9 members present, 2 apologies.

Discussed the ½ day conference planned for November. Date has been changed due to speaker availability. Someone from GTC(S) will be speaking on the Professional Update and what is means for ToDs.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
24th August 2015Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
21st November 2015Half-day conferenceSensory Centre, FalkirkJean McAllister

Back to Latest

13-06-15

Report by Jean McAllister, BATOD Scotland representative

Regional/National information and events report

Carol Thomson and Cathie Finestone have attended the Cross Party Group on Deafness at the Scottish Parliament, giving evidence on the attainment of children with a sensory impairment in Scotland.

Cathie Finestone has also attended SCOD meetings.

Cathie has also attended a PASAG* (Paediatric sub-group Audiology Services Advisory Group) meeting in Glasgow in May.

We have also made a submission on the BSL Scotland Bill.

Committee meetings report

28 March. 6/9 members present; 3 apologies.

Discussed the issues faced by ToDs in West Lothian and the correspondence received by Paul regarding this. Formulated our response to the call for evidence from the Education and Culture Committee to the attainment of children with sensory impairments. Cathie to make submission. We also discussed the positive feedback received from people who had been at the Conference in Edinburgh, including the ceilidh.

30 May. 7/9 members present; 2 apologies.

West Lothian situation seems to be resolving for the moment. Although we have not received any response to a letter sent by Paul to West Lothian Council asking for clarification of the issue.

Cathie Finestone fed back on the attainment of children with a sensory impairment. Ongoing.

Discussed the ½ day conference planned for November. Consideration is being given to holding the event in two locations, one in the North of Scotland to allow more members to attend. Committee members are contacting possible speakers for availability before settling on a topic etc.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
29th August 2015Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
21st November 2015Half-day conferenceTBCJean McAllister

*ASAG is the group in Scotland that oversees all things audiological. It reports to the Scottish Government. PASAG deals purely with paediatric matters and reports to ASAG. Various groups are represented, Audiology HOS, audiologists, BAPA, BAAP, BATOD, Ed Auds, Universities offering courses, SLT, CI team, NDCS, Scottish Government Rep. It set up AQIG (Audiological Quality Improvement Group) which made up the Quality Standards in Audiology of which there are now 4 - Adult, Paediatric, Balance and Transition. Audiology services are self-reviewed and then peer-reviewed on an annual basis on the standards. Back to Latest

15-03-15

A Committee meeting was held on the 31st January with 6 members attending. The feedback on the November conference was positive and people liked the new venue in Falkirk. Lessons have been learned from the application form used in November to inform next time. The committee explored the options on taking training further north to members in Inverness and Perth. Aviemore was also discussed as a venue. We also explored options for adding a Scottish flavour to the delegate’s bags for the forthcoming conference. Further reductions to services were discussed. A concern was raised around the issue of parents not accepting hearing aids for deaf children and at what point this becomes a child protection issue and where it sits with GIRFEC.

Events

A deaf learners' conference was held on the 25th February which was organised by Learning and Teaching Scotland. By all accounts it was a successful day. A follow-up is to be held on the 25th of March.

The BSL Bill will shortly be law and this will have consequences for the Education Bill.

Back to Latest

05-12-14

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    It has been confirmed that some authorities are not supporting pupils at secondary level and one authority has decided to dispense with their Hearing Impaired Service altogether. This begs the question as to whether the statutory rights of H.I. pupils and their needs are being met. This issue will be raised at the forthcoming Cross party meeting at the Scottish Parliament.

    Heads of Service in the north of Scotland have suggested satellite workshops /meetings would be beneficial to the members there and given suggestions for topics which interest them. Tina Wakefield’s presentation on Assessments on the 22nd Nov at Falkirk Sensory Centre was extremely well received and we thank her very much for her efforts on the day. Feedback ranged from ‘inspiring’, ‘relevant’, ‘practical’ to ‘very worthwhile’. On the 25th February 15 Education Scotland are organising a conference for Deaf Learners and on the 25th march a Learning Conversation will be held for staff.

  2. Committee meetings report

    Recent committee meetings: On 4th October 5 committee members attended in Glasgow. We finalised preparations for the November half day conference in Falkirk Sensory Centre and the AGM reports necessary for 2014. It appears that parents are challenging the Review group findings from the Cochlear Implant Centre. We are going to try to get some items to put into the conference bags for March to give a Scottish flavour to the delegates. At AGM we have enlisted a new committee member Fiona Smith which means we have someone representing Ayrshire now. Cathie Finestone will attend the PASAG meeting on the 2nd of Dec 14 and Carol Thomson and Cathie will attend the CP Parliamentary Group on the 4th Dec.14. Jean McAllister will take over as Scottish Rep in March 15.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    13th December 2014 (cancelled)Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    21st February 2015Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone
    25th April 2015Committee meetingNDCS offices, GlasgowCathie Finestone

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: Any issues we need to assist with the Edinburgh Conference? Possible article on quality of training to combat the letter you received.

    Back to Latest

    27-09-14

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Discussions are still on going as to which organisation will monitor the register of qualified Teachers of the Deaf. Carol Thomson is to write to the original MSPs for an update on training. It appears it will not be the responsibility of the HMI. It has come to light that some authorities may not be supporting pupils at secondary level and it was felt that this needs further investigation.

      Myra Orr will speak to Heads of Service in the north to see what satellite workshops/meetings would be beneficial to the members there. Tina Wakefield will speak on Assessment on the 22nd Nov at Falkirk Sensory Centre.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Recent committee meetings: On 30th August 6 committee members attended in Glasgow. We finalised information for the application form for the November half day conference 2014 in Falkirk Sensory Centre. This is to be distributed via the SSC, HoSS forum and the current email addresses which we have. Costs will be limited to £20 for members and £25 for non-members as the main conference in March is in the same academic year. Cathie Finestone will provide the soundfield system for the November conference and we have asked for requests for sign interpreters to be made by 10th October so this can be facilitated.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      4th October 2014Committee meetingsNDCS offices, Glasgow.Cathie Finestone
      22nd NovemberNovember conferenceFalkirk Sensory CentreCathie Finestone

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:Which jobs do you wish BATOD Scotland to do to support the main conference?

    Response: David Couch will be in touch.

    Back to Latest

    14-06-14

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Thanks to Jean McAllister for her involvement in the meetings of the Cochlear Implantation Review Group (Scotland). Their findings have been presented to the Scottish parliament and accepted. Cochlear implant surgery will remain at Crosshouse Hospital in Ayrshire. They are to employ more outreach rehabilitation staff.

      The Parliamentary Cross-party working group has asked the committee to produce a report on ToDs who after 5 years are still not in training or not qualified following Carol Thomson’s earlier presentation on behalf of BATOD Scotland to the parliamentary group.

      A Hearing Impairment Practitioners’ day was held in North Lanarkshire on 6th May and committee members took a stand there and canvassed the gathering for new members. We have five prospective new members from that day.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Recent committee meetings: On 26th April eight committee members attended in Glasgow. We discussed ways of increasing membership in Scotland. A suggestion to forward application forms through the HOSS forum was discussed. We have arranged the November half-day conference 2014 for Falkirk Sensory Centre and topics to be included were investigated.

      Cathie Finestone and I have responded to Lynda Holland (Ear Foundation) on the Scottish perspective on Quality Standard documents for services and agreed to screen other papers forwarded to us in the future.

      Myra Orr assessed the web page for BATOD Scotland and suggested areas for improvement. Cathie Finestone had canvassed Authorities in Scotland for input to the website about HI services within their areas and was met with a degree of suspicion so this didn’t have the positive aspect that we had anticipated but we will continue to look to improve the web page.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      11th June 2014Cross-party parliamentary groupScottish ParliamentCarol Thomson
      26th April
      Aug 30th 2014
      Oct 11th
      Committee meetings NDCS offices, GlasgowEleanor Hutchinson
      22nd NovemberNovember ConferenceFalkirk Sensory Centre Eleanor Hutchinson

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none

    Back to Latest

    09-03-14

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Jean McAllister has attended further meetings of the Cochlear Implantation Review Group (Scotland). Their findings will be presented to the Scottish parliament soon. Thanks go to Tina Wakefield and Jean McAllister for presenting BATOD information to the students at Moray House. This was well-received and hopefully we may have some new members. BATOD Scotland has a presence at the Review of Transitions Group and the Social Services/ Child Protection group; dealing with Deaf people’s experiences - both groups held in Edinburgh.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Recent committee meetings: On 1st February 7 committee members attended in Glasgow and we welcomed Hazel Kellachan to the committee as a new member. We discussed closer working with the Scottish Director of NDCS Heather Gray. We were pleased to hear that the November conference had accrued a small profit and discussed the planning for the Conferences in November (maybe a half day) and the March 2015 conference. Possible venues are being investigated. Cathie Finestone and I have made contact with Lynda Holland (Ear Foundation) and we will offer her the Scottish perspective on Quality Standard documents for services and other papers forwarded to us in the future. Myra Orr will take responsibility for the Scottish section of the website with a view to updating this.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      12th Mar 2014Cross-party parliamentary groupScottish ParliamentCarol Thomson
      26th April
      7th June
      30 August
      11th Oct 2014
      Committee meeting NDCS offices, GlasgowEleanor Hutchinson
      tbaNovember Conferencetba Eleanor Hutchinson

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none

    Back to Latest

    09-11-13

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Carol Thomson and Eleanor Hutchinson talked to the Cross Party Group on Deafness at the Scottish Parliament on the 11th June 2013 concerning the qualification routes for Teachers of the Deaf in Scotland. They suggested 3 action points: A register of Teachers of the Deaf should be set up by the GTCS, a review of qualification routes and teachers working with deaf pupils should be included in school inspections. The convenor was shocked by the presentation and agreed to lodge a PQ about the registering of teachers of the Deaf. Further investigations into training routes are to be made. Jean McAllister has attended 2 meetings of the Cochlear Implantation Review Group (Scotland): 19th August and 29th October. So far this has been involved with information gathering and the group plans to report to the Scottish Government next spring.

    2. Committee meetings report

      Recent committee meetings: 31st August, 5th October, have been concerned with the arrangements for the forthcoming conference. We currently have 7 committee members and are hopeful of increasing this to 8 shortly.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      1st Feb
      26th April
      7th June
      30 August
      11th Oct 2014
      Committee meeting NDCS offices, GlasgowEleanor Hutchinson
      tbaNovember Conferencetba Eleanor Hutchinson

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none

    Back to Latest

    10-03-13

    1. Regional/National information and events report

      Due to falling numbers at conferences, we have decided not to hold a half day meeting in May.

      We are beginning to plan our conference for November, the title of which will be “Keeping Deaf Children Safe”. We’re hoping to have speakers from a wide range of fields including Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, domestic violence, confidence and self esteem.

    2. Committee meetings report

      We are in the process of considering and discussing the Doran Review.

      It has been agreed that we will report back to the Cross-party Group on Deafness with concerns about the lack of teachers of the deaf qualifying via the competences route.

    3. Planned events for the next 12 months

      Datetopic venue contact
      27th April
      1st June
      31st August
      5th Oct 2014
      Committee meeting NDCS offices, GlasgowEleanor Hutchinson
      16 Nov 2013Keeping Deaf Children Safe – conference and AGM, Includes AGMEdinburgh Park Premier Inn Eleanor Hutchinson

  • Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider: none

    Back to Latest