BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

22-09-12

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Nothing to report.

  2. Committee meetings report

    The Committee meetings and email communications have been focused on the next twilight / AGM. We are hoping to get a good response, with a keynote speaker and three workshops covering from Early Years to Post 16!

    Datetopic venue contact
    24 October 2012And we do Assessments because…..? Oak Lodge School for the Deaf WandsworthMeryl Hunt

    Issues: None at present.

Back to Latest

26-05-12

Our BATOD South Twilight on 24 April, at Frank Barnes School for the Deaf at Camden, was attended by a small group of about 12. Some of whom were not BATOD members. We had a guest speaker - Maria Bitner-Glindzicz, Consultant in Clinical Genetics at GOSH and UCL – who spoke about a variety of syndromes and showed us some very interesting genetic family trees. (Made me want to do my own for my syndrome!!) She explained how some of these features impact on hearing and learning. This opened up a lively debate as we compared the information with children in our bases and schools. She was ‘book-ended’ by two case studies.

Debbie Staneva (BATOD South Membership Officer and Head of HI Resource Base at Rushy Meadow Primary School in Sutton) began the evening by speaking about a child with Fragile X Syndrome and sharing the features and implications within a mainstream school with an HI Base. We watched a short video clip of how he managed himself in a PE lesson. She described the staffing and strategies that had to be put into place in order for him to be included, and to support his learning and behavioural needs.

We were given a tour of the school which certainly impressed all of us, bearing in mind that it was a former sports centre! This will be the school’s base until its new, permanent site in Kings Cross is completed.

The evening was rounded off with a talk by Meryl Hunt – yes me!!! (BATOD South Treasurer and Head of HI Resource Base at Auriol Junior School in Epsom) - on the implications of having a CHARGE Syndrome child in a fully inclusive mainstream school, with an HI Base. I shared my experience of managing his behaviour alongside his physical difficulties, including staffing, modification and resources. A video clip was also shown.

Everyone had the opportunity to ask questions and offer their own experiences. It was a very successful evening, although more may have attended if the Tube Strike had not gone ahead!!! The PowerPoint presentations and notes were also emailed to the attendees, by popular request.

The committee will be meeting shortly to de-brief and prepare for the next twilight event.

Issues: Ongoing: trying to get more members involved in BATOD South activities.

Back to Latest

Reports to NEC by Ann Robinson, BATOD South representative

03-12-11

BATOD South held a twilight session ‘New Innovations in Audiology ' and AGM on 9 November. We were very fortunate to hold the event at Connevans' new premises in Merstham, Surrey. Connevans very kindly hosted the event providing all refreshments as part their 50 celebrations.

Following refreshments we were taken on a very informative tour of the Connevans factory and offices.

An update and practical demo of the FP35 test box software was given by John Popplestone, Director of Connevans. Electronic copies of his presentation have been circulated to all attendees.

A question and answer session on 'Any Audiology Issues' was addressed by a panel consisting of John Popplestone, Kathy Owston (Paediatric CI Team St Thomas’ Hospital) and Joyce Sewell-Rutter (Ewing Foundation)

The AGM was held. BATOD members were encouraged to consider joining the committee. Reports were given by the Chair, Treasurer and Membership Secretary.

Amendments to the Constitution were agreed.

Ideas for subjects to be included in future meetings were discussed.

It was a successful evening. BATOD South continues to view networking as an important element of all meetings. BATOD South is a huge region made up of over 10 counties and the London boroughs. We aim to set up events in different parts of the region for all members to attend. We also aim to develop ‘sign posting’ to share training and networking opportunities with one another. This year we have held twilight meetings in Sutton, Margate and Surrey. The next meeting is scheduled for April 2012 venue to be confirmed.

Back to Latest

24-09-11

BATOD South held a very successful twilight meeting on 6.7.11, 5.30-8.00, at The Royal School for Deaf Children, Margate.

Members received a very warm welcome from Wendy Eadsforth and members of staff including a fantastic tea. Wendy gave a very interesting talk on developments to date within the setting and those planned for the future. Members were also given a tour of the school.

The BATOD South AGM, Audiology update and Get Together is booked for 9.11.11 to be held at Connevans’ new premises.

The committee will meet to finalise the agenda and a 'Flyer' will be circulated.

Back to Latest

25-06-11 The next BATOD South meeting has been organised for 6 July 2011 as a twilight session 5.30 - 8.00 at The Royal School for Deaf Children, Margate.

The session will include a tour of the school by Wendy Eadsforth, an update on national issues and time to network.

Audiology update and Get Together booked for 9th November 2011 at Connevans

The New committee has met twice to discuss the future direction of BATOD South.

  • Changes to be considered to Constitution
  • Ways to contact BATOD South members
  • ‘Signposting’ to alert members to courses /training - Possible links with sensory services within BATOD South area - Wandsworth are keen to include BATOD South members in their training events

Back to Latest

10-12-10 postponed to 29-01-11 The BATOD South meeting and AGM were held as a Twilight session on 9th November at Overton Grange School Sutton. Seonaid Ryan as new chairperson welcomed members to the meeting and thanked Mary Ensor the outgoing chair. We were delighted to welcome Gary Anderson. Gary gave a very interesting address on current BATOD issues.

The evening included a speaker on ‘Work Life balance,’ opportunities to network and a focus to recruit committee members and ideas for future meetings/venues/times. Members were encouraged to complete a short questionnaire requesting this information. Three new committee members were recruited at the meeting. Committee members are Seonaid Ryan, Mary Ensor, Joyce Sewell-Rutter, Debbie Staneva, Stevie Mahook, Meryl Hunt and Ann Robinson.

To advertise the event ‘flyers’ were sent via the BATOD magazine, followed by emails to all known member addresses and meeting information was put on the BATOD website. Members attending the meeting did so in response to the emails sent out by committee members. A letter was sent to Specialist schools in the BATOD South area enquiring about possible future venues for meetings.We are very grateful to Ann Underwood for her help in forwarding all email responses.

The committee will compile an updated list of members’ email addresses received and those which came back undelivered to forward to BATOD membership secretary.

Areas to be discussed at future committee meetings-Venues - as BATOD South covers a large areaTimings of meetings - twilight/ weekend days/meetings covering smaller geographical areasTopics to be coveredKeeping in touch with BATOD South membership.
Use of ‘Feedback’ questionnaire

Concerns raised in emails by member:

  • Controlled assessments and time concessions and subsequent lack of teaching time
  • Impact on service to deaf children through local authority restructure

Back to Latest

Reports to NEC by Mary Ensor, BATOD South Chair

12-06-10

At our last committee meeting in the Royal Festival Hall on May 25th we discussed how to get more members on the committee and how to find out what our local members want. We are posting all our members a newsletter in July. The newsletter will include four questions about what they want us to provide. We are dividing up the tasks of sending out the newsletter. We are asking members to reply to an email address.

We will be looking for a treasurer and new chair. Joyce Sewell-Rutter has agreed to become Secretary. We would also like the NEC’s help in getting more committee members.

Our next task is to prepare for our twilight meeting in October. The theme will be work life balance and AGM. The venue of the meeting will be Seonaid Ryan’s school in Sutton.

Back to Latest

12-06-10 At our last committee meeting in the Royal Festival Hall on May 25th we discussed how to get more members on the committee and how to find out what our local members want. We are posting all our members a newsletter in July. The newsletter will include four questions about what they want us to provide. We are dividing up the tasks of sending out the newsletter. We are asking members to reply to an email address.

We will be looking for a treasurer and new chair. Joyce Sewell-Rutter has agreed to become Secretary. We would also like the NEC’s help in getting more committee members.

Our next task is to prepare for our twilight meeting in October. The theme will be work life balance and AGM. The venue of the meeting will be Seonaid Ryan’s school in Sutton.

Back to Latest

15-03-10 Donald Allan, our Treasurer, and Emma Kelty, our ex-Chair, are resigning from the committee –they are both very valuable members - so we are looking for new members with even more vigour. We hope to have a table at the conference to advertise our committee with a newsletter with photos and brief biogs of the committee about our work and current issues. In the newsletter we would include what we do in committee meetings, where we meet, the importance of the link with NEC and plans for a training day/AGM in June with either the Phonak offer for training or something about measuring outcomes or emotional and social development.

We plan to hold the training day at Seonaid’s school. We had to cancel our last committee meeting as numbers got so low and did the meeting by email agenda with room for comments. We got good ideas from this method.

Back to Latest

15-03-09

We are pleased that the membership of our committee is now more or less at full strength. Three new members joined, Ann Robinson, Seonaid Ryan and Jo Butler in January. At the Senjit conference on 6 March, two new members for the committee were recruited so our committee now comprises 10 people. We are very excited that the membership has grown and now expect to generate more events in South Region.

At our last committee meeting in the Royal Festival Hall on 20 January we spent a good deal of time sharing information. Members were interested in information from the December NEC. Joyce Sewell-Rutter explained her new Burwood project and about her work making an audit of deaf children with additional needs in London and the South East. She aims to put on regional training and provide a support network. There was also discussion about the trial qualification for a module for managers of services. Emma Kelty described her Head Teachers course which she is aiming to finish in March. There was also interest in the Quality Standards for FM and the Quality Standards for SEN Support and Outreach Services. Members described their challenges in preparing for these Quality Standards and ideas were shared.

Our next task is to prepare for our conference in November. The theme will be writing policies and preparing for quality standards. Committee Members have been asked do research on speakers before the next meeting on Tuesday 31 March. The venue of the conference will most probably be Frank Barnes School.

Back to Latest

15-03-09

We are pleased that the membership of our committee is now more or less at full strength. Three new members joined, Ann Robinson, Seonaid Ryan and Jo Butler in January. At the Senjit conference on 6 March, two new members for the committee were recruited so our committee now comprises 10 people. We are very excited that the membership has grown and now expect to generate more events in South Region.

At our last committee meeting in the Royal Festival Hall on 20 January we spent a good deal of time sharing information. Members were interested in information from the December NEC. Joyce Sewell-Rutter explained her new Burwood project and about her work making an audit of deaf children with additional needs in London and the South East. She aims to put on regional training and provide a support network. There was also discussion about the trial qualification for a module for managers of services. Emma Kelty described her Head Teachers course which she is aiming to finish in March. There was also interest in the Quality Standards for FM and the Quality Standards for SEN Support and Outreach Services. Members described their challenges in preparing for these Quality Standards and ideas were shared.

Our next task is to prepare for our conference in November. The theme will be writing policies and preparing for quality standards. Committee Members have been asked do research on speakers before the next meeting on Tuesday 31 March. The venue of the conference will most probably be Frank Barnes School.

Back to Latest

06-12-08

Our membership is increasing and we had a successful meeting in the royal festival Hall restaurant in November. A report back from the NEC was eagerly received and brought up many points of discussion. Members were very pleased to have the latest information about free training places for ToDs and the importance of reports like the Bercow report for our work. We also discussed attending the next SENJIT Conference to help run the BATOD stall. Members were sad that Ted Moore is resigning from his post as Consultant and expressed thanks for his work over the years.

We also discussed the membership drive and embers took away the new leaflets for distribution to their teams and ToDs that they would meet visiting schools. We also discussed encouraging Support Assistants to join. We received a letter from a committee member from another area who moved to London – expressing a desire to join us which we were delighted about. We are meeting again in January in the same venue.

The problems facing some of our colleagues in London were also discussed – Emma Kelty from Frank Barnes School reported that a new building will be built near Kings cross with a primary school attached. Mary Ensor reported on the review taking place in Waltham forest Service for Deaf Children.

We are continuing to plan for the next BATOD South Conference in November 2009. We expect it to take the same format – a one day conference and we were discussing the best venue – either Frank Barnes or the Voluntary Associations venue in Holloway Road.

Back to Latest

27-09-08

 The pack given out at the last NEC has proved very useful for contacting our members. We meet at the Royal Festival Hall and use conference calls. Our Christmas meal will be early on Tuesday 18th November.

We have been invited to have a stall at the SENJIT conference – these events are very well attended by ToDs when there is a deaf topic. On this we plan to have a photo board of committee members, a sheet explaining our yearly activities and a sample newsletter.

Back to Latest

14-06-08

We have had a quiet period since the last conference. 

The numbers on our committee have diminished so we are planning a committee membership drive.

We plan to send out a newsletter explaining the committee roles so we can grow again. 

We are looking for strategies to get more members.  

Please let us know if you know of anyone who might be interested in taking part in the committee.

Our next big project is planning a conference in November 2009.

Back to Latest

Reports to NEC by Emma Kelty, BATOD South Chair

01-12-07

We had a stimulating conference on Thinking skills across the years on 9 November. We had delegates from as far afield as Cornwall and Coventry as well as our usual regional members. We learnt about relevant research on thinking skills and maths from Dr Diana Burman. Colleagues from High Trees showed us their work with deaf children who had Mental Wellbeing issues.  They showed videos of role play encouraging children to use thinking skills. Emma Kelty talked about using the Somerset thinking skills programme with Primary children.  It was interesting seeing how a thinking skills session is not taught but facilitated by the teacher. No answer is wrong and the children are encouraged to agree or disagree. In the talk by Lucy Leith about thinking skills with secondary aged children we sampled an exercise and Lucy described how a thinking skills programme can be operated in a secondary school. One delegate thought the conference programme could be used at other events

We are planning a meeting with Christmas drinks in December to discuss feedback from the conference, the topic for next year, content of the next newsletter and any other issues from the South Region

We were privileged to have had both Cindy Paulding as an excellent Treasurer for so long and Emma Kelty as a stimulating Chair. They will both be sorely missed. Mary Ensor is acting as Treasurer and she was extremely well supported by Donald Allan, Head of Service in Waltham Forest who dealt superbly with all the conference applications and cheques.

The new Chair is Mary Ensor and Alison Veal is the new Secretary. We are looking for a new Treasurer.

Back to Latest

29-09-07

  1. Conference
    The main focus for the Committee meetings have been organising the conference and AGM that will be held at The Resource Centre in Holloway, London on the 9th November 2007. The Focus is ‘Thinking across the years’. This year we aim to have a more ‘hands on’ approach with three poster presentations after the introduction by High Trees (Deaf children and family service) – based in Wandsworth. We have Diana Burman presenting about thinking through mathematics. Lucy Leith and Emma Kelty will each explain more about their articles that were in the March BATOD magazine.
  2. Newsletter:
    The BATOD South newsletter and application form, put together by Mary Ensor, for the conference was sent out early this month via the magazine. We have found, yet again, that this is the most cost and time efficient way of communicating with the region and hope that the results of this publicity will support the attendance of the forthcoming conference and AGM.
  3. EAL deaf children/ students
    Mary Ensor, continued discussions about the needs of EAL children and discussed the issues surrounding the difficulties of resources. Mary will discuss more within the next newsletter.
  4. Diversity in the Met
    Emma Kelty has been in contact with Suzanne Lambourne, from the Westminster Diversity Unit, London, who is keen to work with Teachers of the Deaf across London to collect views and work with schools to develop awareness emergency and safety information, systems and access. More information to follow.
  5. Signing Vicar
    Emma Kelty has also been in contact with Anne Richardson (the Level 3, Signing Vicar). Anne is currently compiling a short article for the next newsletter as she is trying to develop awareness that she is able to sign and therefore provide a very inclusive service and instruction that signing deaf children and families can access across London and the SE Region.
  6. Suzanne Lambourne
    We would like to pass on the policy created by Suzanne Lambourne when she submits it in order to gain views from the Educational Issues committee. Refer to What went on at NEC report
  7. Refer to NEC
    BATOD South would like a copy, if possible, of the summary report, read by Ted Moore last year, about the points raised at the last BATOD South conference. We would like to hand out the comprehensive report to the members of the South region. BATOD South thanks Ted in advance.

Back to Latest

16-06-07

Further planning for the BATOD South Conference and AGM on the 9th November continued at our meeting at Frank Barnes School in May. The focus for the conference will be ‘Developing Thinking Skills’. We aim to provide a couple of speakers and provide workshop time to unpick and develop the speaker’s information/packages. We hope that audience participation will also be the focus for this year’s conference.

A BATOD South member requested that the title for the conference should include the term ‘professional development/workshop’ as his local authority would not authorise any ‘conference’ attendances. The committee welcomed this information and will act accordingly.

Mary Ensor described further developments on the Newsletter that will have a focus on CSWs and responding to the questions raised at the last AGM. In response to the amount of responses from the delegates from the last AGM, the committee felt that we should dedicate more time at the next AGM.

We are proposing to discuss issues surrounding CSWs at the next meeting.

Mary Ensor has agreed to take on the role of Treasurer.

Back to Latest

11-03-07

BATOD South welcomed Alison Veal to the committee at the Christmas meal in December where we evaluated and reviewed the BATOD South Conference and AGM in November 2006.

We met up again at the beginning of February where the planning and execution of the biannual newsletter was agreed. Alison Veal also accepted the position of NEC representative and looks forward to her first NEC meeting in March.

Furthermore, we reviewed and discussed how to action and disseminate our responses to the questions that delegates raised at the BATOD South AGM in November. We were very thankful to know that the NEC will respond to much of the list at the March NEC Conference and AGM.

BATOD South in the meantime is currently investigating the possibility of:

  • a web chat room for the South region
  • utilising the BATOD South newsletter further to become a facilitator of local knowledge, courses and clubs
  • utilising the BATOD South area of the BATOD website more by displaying local information.

The committee agreed that the theme of the Conference in 2007 will be ‘Thinking Skills’ and will be held on the second Friday of November (9th) at The Resource Centre, Holloway. The booking has already been confirmed.

Mary Ensor has written an article for the BATOD magazine about the changes in regulations for teacher training that could affect BSL teachers.

We are very saddened by the news from Stuart Whyte that he has resigned from the BATOD South committee as the NEC Rep and from the NEC Audiology Committee. The committee expressed sincere thanks for all of his hard work over the years and wish him all the best.

We are also very sad to ‘partly lose’ Cindy Paulding (treasurer) who has been a rock for BATOD South for the last decade.  Although she will abstain from meetings, she will, until a replacement is found, remain as the silent treasurer.  Cindy’s presence on the committee will be sorely missed but the whole of the committee wholeheartedly thanks Cindy for all of her past and continued work.

Back to Latest

02-12-06

BATOD South had a very successful conference and AGM at the Resource Centre in London. There were just under eighty delegates from across the regions and settings. The conference looked at Holistic Assessment Across the Years. There were eleven 20-minute presentations plus the AGM. The day was intense and presenters who volunteered their services included Head Teachers, Education Consultants, Heads of Departments and a Senior Deaf Instructor. The response from participants was very positive with very high ratings of ‘excellent’ on the evaluation sheets.

As part of the AGM, the delegates were asked to write three things that they need or would like to be developed or changed. This feedback was enlightening but also highlighted common themes. These have been passed on to the NEC. It is impressive that the overwhelming core of Teachers of the Deaf want to work and support each other, even with very heavy workloads.

At the BATOD South AGM, the Chair welcomed three new committee members: Alison Veal, Karen Considine and Barry Thompson at the same time as reluctantly saying farewell to Cindy Paulding who is resigning as Treasurer and from the BATOD South Committee. Cindy has been an active and invaluable member of the BATOD South committee for the last decade and will be very hard to replace. The committee wishes her all the very best.

The committee is of course again beginning to look for a new Chair and Secretary as office-holders are coming to the end of the second year in post – volunteers are needed.

Back to Latest

30-09-06

The main thrust of BATOD South meetings have been preparing for the pending conference in November. The conference will focus on 'Holistic Assessment across the years' and has a range of speakers. The aim of the day is to provide short and sharp presentations on different assessment tools that can be used across the years. Furthermore, the conference will unveil the new Reading and Writing Frameworks that were designed specifically for deaf children by Frank Barnes School for Deaf children in Camden, London. The day will conclude with a presentation by Lucy Leith on the content, importance and value of the BATOD Survey.

Over the summer, BATOD South committee members have been looking at different cost cutting and labour saving ways of distributing the biannual newsletters, conference flyers and applications forms. The BATOD magazine was used to facilitate this information with projected costs to be a fraction of previous expenditure.

BATOD South has been looking into setting up a FE and/or primary special interest group for the South region. These discussions highlighted the need to clarify how special interest groups are managed. Committee members agreed that

  • Regular feedback and copies of the minutes/events should be sent to the main committee
  • A BATOD South committee member should represent the special interest group
  • Finances should be overseen by the BATOD South treasurer Cindy Paulding.
However we look to the NEC for advice/expected protocol on this matter.

Mary Ensor (secretary), who presented a paper at the NEC about funding issues for lip reading classes has reported to have been successful in their lobbying. The government, following talks with ATLA (Association of Teachers of Lip reading to Adults), Hearing Concern, RNID and DfES, appear keen to make funding more readily available. These talks revealed that not enough was known about the numbers of lip reading students and their needs.

Mary Ensor was also very pleased to report that BATOD members helped out Blanche Neville School for Deaf children in Haringey, North London with the recent campaign to secure their future.

Back to Latest

17-06-06

BATOD South met by conference call in May 2006 to further plan the region's annual conference. The focus is on a variety of assessment tools across the years and there is an intention to have a mix of key speakers and poster presentations, including information about the strategic nature of the BATOD Survey.

Please note the Conference date is Friday 10 November 2006, as noted in the previous NEC report, rather than the incorrectly published date of the 11th. The BATOD website, calendar, and application forms have the correct date. The venue is Britannia House, near London's Kings Cross Station.

The BATOD South Secretary, Mary Ensor, warmly accepted the invitation from the NEC to attend the June 17 meeting.

Back to Latest

12-03-06

BATOD South committee met in December 2005 and had a conference call at the beginning of January 2006 in order to start planning the region's annual Conference that is to be held in Central London on Friday 10 November 2006. The focus is on Assessment across the years and there is an intention to have a mix of key speakers and poster presentations.

In addition, final additions/amendments were added to the newsletter that can now be viewed on the BATOD website. The newsletter was distributed to the region at the beginning of February and we hope that the articles in support of the BATOD conference in March will be beneficial.

The next conference call will be on the 4 May 2006.

BATOD South wishes to pass on thanks to the NEC for their recent article in the BATOD Magazine about SEN points and direction for TLR support.

The South Committee expressed concern at the reduction of lip reading courses and lack of funding for adult education. Lack of funding has meant that lip reading courses are disappearing across the region. Is this common elsewhere?

Back to Latest

03-12-05

The BATOD South Committee held a conference call in September to finalise details for the pending regional annual conference.

On the 11 November, BATOD South held a very successful conference and AGM with approximately 60 attendees and an exhibitor from Speech Mark. The speakers included: Peter Keene, Sue Lewis, Nerys Roberts, Sheila Powdery and Joyce Sewell-Rutter. All of their presentations were very informative and this was mirrored by the very positive feedback from the attendees. All of the presentations were ranked either 87% or above as good to very useful.

There were many suggestions (x20) for future topics at conferences/workshops. These ranged from tackling teenage isolation in units and mainstream schools, practical activities and strategies for working with pre-school deaf babies/toddlers and children, sharing resources and hardware to bilingualism and how is it successfully put into practice.

At the AGM the outgoing Chair, Angie Reese thanked the committee for their hard work, gave thanks to the retiring members, Roy Shiers and Sheila Smith, and handed over to the incoming Chair Emma Kelty and the Secretary, Mary Ensor.

A request has been put forward from the ToDs in West Sussex asking BATOD to re-publish their recommendations for SEN 2 for all qualified ToDs.

It has been suggested that BATOD could publish an information sheet about the TLR issue.

Back to Latest

24-09-05

The BATOD South Committee had a conference call in July where continued planning for the September Newsletter and the regional annual conference took place.

This year the BATOD South conference will be focusing on Speech and Language Matters. Topics will include 'Spotting the atypical child' by Sue Lewis and 'Auditory Processing Disorders' by Nerys Roberts.

There will also be a resource display and time for networking. The conference will be held at the Runneymede Centre in Chertsey from 9.30 - 3.30pm on Friday 11 November.

Committee changes: Angie Reese (Chair) will be passing on her role to Emma Kelty with Mary Ensor as the new Secretary and Cindy Paulding continuing as Treasurer.

The Committee will also be saying a fond farewell to Sheila Smith (BATOD South Secretary) who will be retiring from the committee in the near future. However in true form, Sheila’s busy retirement plans and schedule will leave her little time for 'putting her feet up'. We thank her for all of her work and she will be sorely missed.

We also thank Angie Reese for all of her sterling work as Chair of BATOD South for the last two years and we are extremely pleased to report that she will be continuing on the Committee.

Back to Latest

Reports to NEC by Stuart Whyte, South Region representative

11-06-05

The Conference and AGM will be on the 18 November at the Runnymede Centre, Chertsey. The subject will be: ’Speech perception measures & assessment’. An email has been received from Essex. The writer describes not being allowed to attend clinics or liaise with health professionals. It is thought to be a funding issue! Congratulations to Angie Jenner as was, who is now Mrs Souter. Angie has served on the South region committee. Recently reviewed in the BATOD Magazine the sign picture cards for visual language learners created by Emma Kelty have resulted in further resources. A numeracy pack is available directly from Emma who has now a working and secure online shop at www.entresources.co.uk.. Please pass on to anyone who may be interested.  Officers, post-AGM: Angie Reese and Sheila Smith are resigning as Chair and Secretary. Cindy Paulding to remain as Treasurer. Mary Ensor may take on role of Secretary

Back to Latest

13-03-05

The BATOD South Committee met in London in December 2004 and February 2005. Feedback from the December NEC was discussed.

The South Committee continues to be concerned about exam arrangements for hearing-impaired students and welcomes the NEC continued dialogue with JCQ. In the light of recent changes however, concern was also expressed about the quality of modification.

The Southern Region area of the BATOD website was discussed. An informative introductory description of the work of our Region is to be produced in March.

The Committee has begun planning for the Annual General Meeting and Conference. The date has been set as Friday 18 November at a central London venue (to be confirmed). Following feedback from the last AGM, the conference will be focus on monitoring speech and language development.

Back to Latest

04-12-04

The BATOD South Committee met in the Royal Festival Hall foyer and by conference call. Our Annual General Meeting was held on Friday 5 November during another successful conference, with almost sixty attending.

John Ellwood, County Audiologist, Cumbria and Chair of the British Association of Educational Audiologists gave the keynote address. Delegates considered his presentation on 'The Role of Education in MCHAS, with particular reference to Teachers of the Deaf' to be very informative and thought provoking. Workshops covered the pros and cons of digital signal processing aids, and their testing and programming.

Contributors to an open forum during the AGM were supportive of the theme of 'Reasonable Adjustments' for the National Conference. Participants were also keen on presentations regarding auditory processing disorders. Delegates were aware of the fast turn around by some suppliers for paediatric ear moulds, but expressed concern that generally there was an average wait of six weeks.

The South Committee was asked to forward a request to the NEC. This was to consider the question of insurance for ToDs (certified to BSA standards) to take ear mould impressions.

Back to Latest

25-09-04

The BATOD South Committee met in October 2003, March and May 2004, and by conference call in preparation for the Spring AGM and Conference. Four new members have been welcomed onto the Committee this year.

The AGM and Conference held on Friday 5 March was a great success! Support for the conference was excellent, with over 60 people attending. Evaluations showed the majority of people were keen for events on Fridays. They expressed a desire for future meetings on the areas of speech, audiology, and language development.

Our next AGM and Conference is on Friday 5 November at the Runnymede Centre, Chertsey. The title for the day is 'Everything you always wanted to know about digital aids but were afraid to ask!' with David Canning as Keynote speaker. Professional development from Education and Health colleagues include the pros and cons of DSP aids, and perspectives on MCHAS.

The BATOD South Newsletter is published twice a year, with the September mailing.

Back to Latest