BSL Educational Care Coordinator (formerly known as a BSL Higher Level Teaching Assistant) – Wandsworth Hospital and Home Tuition Service (HHTS)
Closes: 04.12.23More info >
Permanent (Full-time 37 hours)
55 days annual leave per annum, including bank holidays (to be used in the school holidays)
Doncaster Deaf Trust are seeking to appoint a Deaf Awareness Coordinator to join a new British Sign Language Hub. An important element of the Trust’s Strategic Plan (2020-2025) is the development of a dedicated British Sign Language (BSL) Hub. The creation of the hub will re-affirm and further develop our reputation as a national centre of excellence in deaf education.
Our BSL strategy is aiming to restructure the BSL department within Doncaster Deaf Trust to increase both the training offer to staff and to provide BSL programmes to staff, families, employers and the general public. It is fundamental to the strategy to promote BSL across the Trust and within the community at a local, regional and national level.
Key Areas of Responsibility
• Planning and delivery of Deaf Awareness to a) internal customers – students, staff, families, and b) external customers – employers, community organisations and other relevant organisations.
• To produce, design and develop the Deaf Awareness presentation to raise the profile of Deaf Awareness with: community organisations, local businesses, and appropriate services.
• Promoting BSL, Deaf identity and Deaf culture in the local community.
• To promote equal opportunities with regards to the BSL Act 2022 and the Equality Act 2010 within the larger regional community.
• To provide a professional monthly newsletter with updates regarding Deaf Awareness promotion and training.
• Regular Deaf Awareness posts and communication on social media (popular sites such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.) to share and increase the awareness amongst the wider community.
• To share regular information updates with the Marketing team for them to distribute accordingly.
• To support the delivery of the BSL Strategy linked to the Strategic Plan 2020-2025.
• British Sign Language Level 6 Qualification
• Evidence of BSL fluency
• Specialism in BSL
• Specialism in Deaf Awareness
• Evidence of successful recent delivery of Deaf Awareness
• To be able to demonstrate experience of strong organisational skills
• Experience and a commitment to Safeguarding best practice
• Knowledge and understanding of Deaf Awareness with detailed knowledge of Deaf Awareness Delivery
• Ability to manage behaviour positively
• Complete understanding of BSL linguistics
• Service user centred approach to delivery – being able to adapt accordingly to the working environment
• 55 days annual leave (to be used in school holidays)
• Contributory Pension
• Great CPD opportunities
• Free onsite parking
• Free use of onsite gym
• Discounted childcare at the onsite Little Learners Day Nursery
• Westfield Health Cash Plan including Doctorline – 24/7 access to a GP, Dental, Optical and Prescription claims and much more (funded by the employer)
For a job description and application form please email Human Resources at [email protected]