About | 01.11.2017 | By Paul Simpson

Report to NEC about the activity of BATOD Midland

 

 

12-03-17 and 10-06-17

There was no written report from the Midland region as there is currently a vacancy for the role of regional representative.

 

03-12-16

Regional/National information and events report

Committee meeting: 29.09.16; Committee meeting: 09.11.16

Committee meeting minutes

We have been making arrangements for the future conference in the summer term.

The new treasurer, Pauline Wells, has moved us to online banking and payments are being made by bank transfer rather than cheque which is more convenient.

We welcomed new member Victoria Carter-Harris who works for the Birmingham Hearing Impairment team as a peripatetic Teacher of the Deaf.

We have signposted Midland members to our BATOD Midland Facebook group and have had many members joining.

We are getting the BATOD Midland mobile phone from Helen Cooper who is currently on maternity leave so that we can use what’s app for future committee meetings.

We have updated the BATOD Midland summary webpage.

We discussed when in the year to hold the Midland conference as traditionally we have done it in the summer term but this can mean that opportunities for it to feed into the ToD’s individual CPD cycle are lost as knowledge can’t be used to impact on the annual CPD cycle as it is too late by the end of May/July. We are intending to bring it forward to just after Easter. It was felt that if we had it in the spring term it would clash with the national conference.

Feedback from services:

  • Leicestershire. The decision about moving towards a traded model for some aspects of our service has been put on hold until after the service review. Everyone is very busy. There has been lots of training provided to schools.
  • Worcestershire – two colleagues retired last term and the HI team has come together with the VI and MSI teams to form a larger sensory impairment team. Within this team, HI is line managed by a Senior HI specialist teacher. We continue to support all children and young people for whom hearing loss impact is profound, severe or moderate as our commissioned work. Pupils whose impact of hearing loss is mild are seen via service level agreements with schools and we are developing bespoke training and support packages to widen our offer to schools. There has been a large rise in profoundly deaf babies being referred which has had an impact on the team and we are constantly looking at ways to deliver within our means.
  • In Warwickshire a member of staff (Claire Sunderland) has just qualified as an Educational Audiologist. There is no longer a Sign Language Tutor. The team are thinking about parent voice. A parent social is going to be held with a view to them helping shape the service.
  • Louise Westwood in Dudley achieved an award for outstanding student on the Post Graduate Diploma in Early Years and Deafness at Mary Hare. The HI Service is coming under a new team called Whole Life Disability.
  • In Birmingham the team are very busy considering the Ofsted of services. Mark Rogers, Chief Executive of Birmingham City Council was contacted by a parent to praise the support she had received from Sensory Support including QToD, Cathy Spruce, HLTA Liz Fearon and BSL Tutor Gail Conway. Following on from this Sensory Support were finalists in the Chamberlain Awards and were then nominated for a Shining Stars award which was presented on Friday 11th November 2016.
  • Oxfordshire is suffering high caseload due to staff shortages. The applicants they are getting are not qualified Teachers of the Deaf.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Date topic venue contact
18th January 2017 Committee meeting Lugtrout Lane, Solihull Alison Campbell
27th April 2017 Half Day conference and AGM Royal School for the Deaf, Derby Alison Campbell

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

  • NatSIP email re: working with On-line Training Ltd. Two members from Midland services were keen to find out NEC’s feelings about the request forwarded by NatSIP. The email offered an opportunity for ToDs to work with On-line training Ltd to mentor 12 people recruited through one’s own workplace and deliver a training package. As a mentor you could use the training package created by On-Line Training for free for one year. After this time there would then be the opportunity to continue the arrangement paying for use of the package.
  • An idea has been raised with regards to sharing a picture and a couple of paragraphs on the website for notable individuals who have had a lasting impact on deaf education. The idea being that each region and BATOD celebrates and recognises those members who have made a lasting contribution to deaf education in the UK. The committee felt that having this information under the regional webpages makes it more personal and accessible. The Midland committee came up with a possible list of names but wanted to see what NEC thinks of this idea in general.
  • A member has raised an issue about relevant CPD for ToDs and the impact that this has on teacher retention. There are examples of good practice but there are concerns that some members in resource bases where the provision is delegated to the school are not getting appropriate CPD related to their specialism.

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell, NEC representative

24-09-16

Regional/National information and events report

We held our AGM and training afternoon on 6th July 2016 in Dudley. It was well attended and the topics of access arrangements for GCSE and A level and dynamic assessment were well received. Positive feedback related to the content of the training day – delegates reported that it is hard to be released from work to attend these events; a case has to be made for it so the subject matter is an important factor for members when choosing whether to attend BATOD midland events. Delegates were also pleased that lunch was provided (sponsored by manufacturers).

Committee meeting minutes

No committee meetings held since before the last NEC meeting in June. Following the training day we have had interest from a few members in attending BATOD committee meetings. We hope to have new members from Staffordshire attend our committee meeting at the end of September. There has also been positive support from members in different local authorities to having future BATOD Midland events in their local county/borough, e.g. moving the annual training afternoon around the region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Date topic venue contact
29th September 2016 Committee meeting Solihull Alison Campbell and Angie Wootten

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

None

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell, NEC representative

18.06.16

Regional/National information and events report

No committee meetings held since before the last NEC meeting in March.

Committee meeting minutes Following our midland regional conference which takes place on 6th July at The Savoy Centre, Dudley we will next meet in September to begin organising our conference for the following year which may take place at the Royal School for the Deaf, Derby. Following feedback from members we are trying to hold our conferences in different venues around the region.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Date topic venue contact
Midland conference and AGM on Wed 6th July 2016 Access arrangements for GCSE and A Level (Paul Simpson); Dynamic Assessment (Jane Yeomans) The Savoy Centre, Northfield Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY2 9ES Alison Campbell

Issues which the Regional committee wishes NEC to consider

None

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Alison Campbell, NEC representative

13.03.16

Regional/National information and events report

We are planning that our next Half Day event will be on July 6th. Paul Simpson has agreed to come and talk to us about access arrangements. There may also be an item on ‘dynamic assessment’. The venue is to be confirmed but is likely to be in Worcester.

Committee meeting minutes

  • Alison Campbell reported on the latest NEC report and we discussed some of the issues including Worcestershire support service’s experience of Babcock (see below), oral language modification and the state of play with regards to the Mandatory Qualification
  • The transfer from traditional banking to online banking is going ahead, as is the change of signatories, reflecting in particular Robert Miller’s resignation from the post of Treasurer last year. We discussed next steps in the paperwork.
  • We are preparing for our Half Day in July. The most popular topic that emerged from our BATOD survey suggested that assessment was the preferred topic. In line with this Paul Simpson was to be asked whether he would present on the subject of access arrangements and Stuart Whyte to be asked to speak about acoustic assessment. A suitable speaker on the subject of dynamic assessment was also to be invited.

Feedback from the services

  • Oxfordshire is merging with Hampshire for some administrative tasks e.g. payroll. Alison Holmans is retiring
  • Dudley has had one person qualifying as an Ed Aud and another is training
  • Leicestershire is still in a state of flux. There are various changes in staffing coming up and there has been a slight change in accommodation
  • Solihull requires a maternity cover from May (Helen). Andrea Baker has now fully retired. It’s a good team. It is gradually going paperless. Quite a new development is a number of children with Down’s who have been fitted with bone conductors
  • Worcestershire is now in a transition stage with Babcock from October 2015. No changes in teachers’ pay and conditions are envisaged until 2017. New posts will be advertised over 41 weeks a year (2 more than the norm). One change includes one qualification as an Educational Audiologist.
  • Warks is having to make savings. Good morale at the moment.

Information on the inside back cover There is still no chairperson. Angie Wootten will cease to be secretary when the AGM is held.

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Angie Wootten

 

 

Become a member

Join

Job closing soon


Next event


Already a member?

Manage your account and much more

Members area