BATOD
The British Association of Teachers of the Deaf
Promoting Excellence in Deaf Education

12-03-17

Regional/National information and events report

Since the last NEC the committee has met twice, once for our Christmas get together and once in February to discuss progress made. As reflected in our December report, BATOD South has been struggling for a time to engage with the membership; this is despite surveying them to find out training needs and organising events to reflect this feedback. In our December meeting we began to explore the viability of extending our reach to include the South West and had tentatively agreed with speakers their availability to provide training in April 2017 (location TBC but in the South West). Alongside this, we checked that our membership list was up to date. In between the two meetings we were informed about the possible re-formation of BATOD SW and it was agreed by the committee that rather than competing with this that we would offer our support and input and cancel our planned day.

Committee meeting report

The Committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School and the membership has remained static. The focus of our meetings has been the future of BATOD South – Meryl Hunt and Debbie Staneva have both given notice that they are retiring and will be stepping down from the committee at the November AGM. This will leave myself and Stevie Mayhook as the only members, with no prospective new members in sight. I have put together a leaflet to send out to the membership highlighting the “mortal peril” that BATOD South is in, appealing for their help and reminding them of the support and training we have provided over the years (included in the NEC electronic pack).

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
November 2017BATOD South AGMtba

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

Future of BATOD South

Name and Position of person who wrote the report

Emma Parker – Regional Committee Secretary and NEC Rep

03-12-16

Regional/National information and events report

Since the last NEC the committee has met once for our Autumn get together and AGM. Despite not charging attendees, extensive publicity and the prospect of networking, nibbles and an AGM we only had 7 members attend (plus 5 committee members). This luckily was enough to ensure a quorum for the AGM and gave those present good opportunities to suggest ideas and comment on how the regional committee could support them in their professional lives.

Suggestions, questions and queries included:

  • Is the region served by other training providers that members would prefer (or get released) to attend, unlike other regions?
  • Would attendance be higher if training gave participants CPD points?
  • Do some provisions feel that they can train their staff effectively internally and don't feel the need to engage with BATOD? It was noted that the last few meetings held at schools for the deaf had either a poor turnout from staff on site or non-attendance.
  • Is BATOD seen as a union, whereby members know it is there when there's a problem but wouldn't normally attend meetings?
  • Is there too much going on within the professional lives of members to allow them time to attend?
  • Has NatSIP usurped BATOD?
  • Are we effectively reaching the younger generation of Teachers of the Deaf? Virtual communication?
  • Is there a gap between new ToDs in mainstream settings and older ToDs where their managers don't recognise BATOD so much?

The AGM included reports from the Chair, Treasurer and Membership Secretary.

We will meet once more before Christmas to discuss a way forward and analyse any feedback from members.

Committee meeting report

The Committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School and the membership has remained static. We have put together a flyer for members with information about the regional committee and its members which has been sent out.

Steph Halder has stepped down from the committee to concentrate on her role as BATOD President Elect.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
No events planned

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

Future of BATOD South

Name and Position of person who wrote the report

Emma Parker – Regional Committee Secretary and NEC Rep

24-09-16

Regional/National information and events report

Since the last NEC the committee has met once to analyse the reasons for the cancellation of the last training event and to plan for our autumn training and AGM. We have decided to plan a get together and networking event for colleagues (members and non-members) as well as (hopefully) having manufacturers in attendance. This will be a free event and will even include wine and nibbles!

This is planned for the 17th November.

Committee meeting report

The committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School and the membership has remained static. Along with discussing training we have also discussed ways to increase awareness of BATOD South amongst members and have begun putting together a regional information leaflet detailing the role of the committee, the training we offer and a bit about the committee members. .

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
17th November BATOD South Autumn Get Together and AGMAcorn Family Centre, TootingMeryl Hunt - (hunt@wandsworthhis.org.uk)

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

None

Name and Position of person who wrote the report

Emma Parker – Regional Committee Secretary and NEC Rep

18-06-16

Regional/National information and events report

Since the last NEC meeting the Committee have met twice – once in person and once by e-mail - to plan our training day in May. The title of the training was “Decent, legal and honest” and was to have had input from the NSPCC, National Deaf CAMHS and Exeter RADE as well as a keynote speech from a solicitor specialising in SEN tribunals. By the 3rd of May it became apparent that we had a disappointing number of delegates (11 with 4 half price) signed up for the day; this despite offering a “Book one delegate place and bring a colleague for half price” deal and the committee took the decision to cancel.

This is a disappointing outcome particularly as the day had been planned after consultation with members. Feedback as to the lack of interest seem to suggest that colleagues are finding it difficult to be funded and released from their work to attend training.

Committee meeting report

The Committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School and the membership has remained static. At November's AGM I took on the role of Secretary and Stevie replaced Meryl as Chair. Meryl has remained as Treasurer and Debbie as Membership Secretary.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
November AGMtbaEmma Parker

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

Lack of signers on NEC – could Stuart possibly video part of his Presidential address in BSL? Should there be a working party focused on encouraging our signing colleagues to play a larger role in BATOD?

Name and Position of person who wrote the report

Emma Parker – Regional Rep and Secretary

13-03-16

Regional/National information and events report

Since the last NEC meeting the committee has met once to plan our training day in May. The title of the training will be “Decent, legal and honest” and will have input from the NSPCC, National Deaf CAMHS and Exeter RADE as well as a keynote speech from a solicitor specialising in SEN tribunals.

Committee meeting report

The committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School and the membership has remained static. At November's AGM I took on the role of secretary and Stevie replaced Meryl as chair. Meryl has remained as treasurer and Debbie as membership secretary. Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
19th May 2016; 9.30am - 3.30pm "Decent, legal, honest”The Lift, 45, White Lion Street, London N1 9PWMeryl Hunt

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

Lack of signers on NEC – could Stuart possibly video part of his Presidential address in BSL? Should there be a working party focused on encouraging our signing colleagues to play a larger role in BATOD? Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Emma Parker – Regional Rep and Secretary

5-12-15

Regional/National information and events report

In November we held our autumn term training and AGM. Having canvassed the opinions of BATOD South members we chose to run a session entitled "Access arrangements from Phonics Screening to ‘A’ levels – are you up to date?” After introductions, Debbie Staneva (EYFS), Meryl Hunt (Primary), Susan Arkley (CAMHS/Alternative provisions) and Paul Simpson (Secondary/HE/FE) shared with those attending, delivering the information in small groups.

The INSET was run from 2pm – 5.30pm and had a more positive turnout than other training sessions with 20 attendees. Unfortunately none of the Frank Barnes staff was able attend because of staffing.

Feedback was broadly positive with participants reporting that they would use the information received to inform theirs and their colleagues practice. Others enjoyed the opportunity to network and visit the new Frank Barnes building, though a few found it particularly difficult to find the school! When asked, participants stated that they would be interested in attending a full day's training in the future, and this information has informed our next event. Unfortunately, due to the cost of hire (£270) we were not able to cover all our costs with £120 received and £80 still to be recieved.

The meeting also included our AGM (see below for details).

Committee meeting report

The committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School and the membership has remained static. At November's AGM I took on the role of secretary and Stevie replaced Meryl as chair. Meryl is remaining as treasurer and Debbie as membership secretary. Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
5th May 2016; 9.30am - 3.30pm "Decent, legal, honest”tbaMeryl Hunt

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

Membership – having spoken to colleagues they thought that they were part of a "school membership" of BATOD – is this a common issue?

SW region – The BATOD South committee ia happy to extend their "reach" to include the South West. Is the NEC happy for us to do this?

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Emma Parker – Regional Rep and Secretary

19-09-15

Regional/National information and events report

Since the last NEC the committee has met once. The focus of the meeting was to evaluate our previous INSET on the topic “The 3 “A” – Accessing Audiology in Action” and to begin planning our Autumn INSET which will be focused on access arrangements across all phases. This will be held on the 18th November 2015 in Central London and will be titled "Access arrangements from Phonics Screening to ‘A’ levels – are you up to date”? The format will be a circuit to allow attendees to access speakers from different phases and communication approaches in small groups. We will once again be running it from 2pm-5.30pm; venue to be arranged and will include our AGM.

Committee meeting report

The committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School. This has proved to be cost effective as several of the members work in the local area. The membership has remained static. In November I will be taking on the role of Secretary and Stevie will be taking over from Meryl as Chair.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
18th November 2015, 2-5.30pm"Access arrangements from Phonics Screening to ‘A’ levels – are you up to date?”tbaMeryl Hunt

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider:

Our perennial issue of low attendance at INSETs despite listening to the feedback received by varying locations across the region, changing times and reducing the cost of attendance. We receive excellent feedback and yet find that we have an almost totally different “audience” attending each meeting! What are the suggestions of other regions?

Name and Position of person who wrote the report: Emma Parker – Regional Rep and Secretary Elect

13-06-15

Regional/National information and events report

In April we held our spring term training. Having canvassed the opinions of BATOD South members we chose to run a session entitled “The 3 “A” – Accessing Audiology in Action.” Representatives from Phonak, Connevans and Front Row shared with those who attended, delivering the information in small groups. We were also joined by Jolanda Scourfield, Head of Audiology Services at St George’s Hospital who shared information about the Paediatric Hearing and Hearing Aid Service and how the team there works with Teachers of the Deaf, schools, families and children.

The INSET was run from 2pm – 5.30pm and had a more positive turnout than other training sessions with 22 bookings and 17 attendees.

We are already planning our autumn term INSET for November provisionally on the topic of "Access arrangements from Phonics Screening to ‘A’ levels – are you up to date?” We will once again be running it from 2pm-5.30pm; venue to be arranged. This will also include our AGM.

Committee meeting report

The committee has met on a regular basis, hosted by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School. This has proved to be cost effective as several of the members work in the local area. The membership has remained static. In November I will be taking on the role of Secretary and Stevie will be taking over from Meryl as chair.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
18th November 2015, 2-5.30pm"Access arrangements from Phonics Screening to ‘A’ levels – are you up to date?”tbaMeryl Hunt

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider

We are having a continual issue of BSL interpreters who are booked for training either dropping out or not turning up which restricts access for some of our members. Is this the experience of other regions? Linked to this, we have always asked colleagues who require a BSL interpreter to use Access to Work funding to cover the expense. However, we have had reports that colleagues are not being allowed to use this for external training. What do other regions do?

15-03-15

Regional/National information and events report

In November we held our Autumn term training on the subject of the EHCP. David Couch and Meryl spoke on both the theory and the practical aspects of the legislation.

We have continued to try to engage members in expressing the topics that they would like covered in our termly training. We were able to garner some useful information from the survey that we sent out in October but felt that we perhaps needed some more information. Particular areas that required clarification were: areas/topics to be covered, location and timing. In January we sent out an e-mail to members asking them to list topics that they would like covered and times that would be best for them. We received 60 responses and as a result have put together the event below. We have tried to cover some of the topics identified, made it an afternoon session and have priced it attractively (£5 for members/non-members) to appeal to a wider audience.

Committee meeting report

The committee has met on a regular basis, hosted admirably by Meryl and Debz at Sellincourt Primary School. This has proved to be cost effective as several of the members work in the local area. The membership has remained static with Meryl continuing in her role as Treasurer and Chair. I have agreed to become the Southern Region Rep for the NEC and will also take on the role of Secretary when Stevie steps down in November. In December we sadly said goodbye to Joyce after serving on the committee in various roles for many years.

Planned events for the next 12 months

Datetopic venue contact
23rd April 2015; 2-5.30pm The 3 As – Accessing Audiology in ActionQueen Mary’s Hospital, RoehamptionMeryl Hunt

Issues which regional Committee wishes NEC to consider

Our ongoing issue of not having an updated email list of our regional members – as many return as ‘demon’. We are going have lists available at the next training so that attendees can check their details (and those of colleagues).

05-12-14

Regional/National information and events report

Results of the SurveyMonkey – out of over 300 emails sent out we had 60 responses. Out of these responses only 15 had attended any twilight over the past 3 years. Whole or half day events were preferred.

Our Twilight + AGM in November was held at Queen Mary’s Hospital and we had 20 attendees, including our committee members. EHCP being the topic, we had our own David Couch giving us a brilliant talk on the philosophy, and I talked about the personal practicalities of preparing and chairing an EHCP.

Committee meeting report

Stevie has been an excellent secretary, keeping us all on our toes and typing up the minutes of our meetings and emailing them before we have even got home!!! She is Chair Elect and will take over from next November. Emma has recently joined us and has become Secretary Elect and will be stepping into Stevie’s shoes next year. She has also agreed to become our regional rep for the NEC, alongside our other committee member, Steph. Debz is currently our Membership Co-ordinator and has been tirelessly investigating rogue email addresses!!! I am Chair, Treasurer and NEC Rep, but I will shortly step down from the NEC once I have handed over to Emma. Joyce has now stepped down from the committee and we said our ‘thank you’ over an Indian meal this week

27-09-14

Our last BATOD South Twilight in the Summer Term was held at Hamilton Lodge. It was attended by about 20 people; however, this included the committee members and staff at the school. Although this appeared to be well attended, we did not break even financially after paying for the food provided by the school catering service.

We had three speakers (one of them being myself) – we all spoke about the implications of language within Mathematics. I shared my experience using the Pie Corbett method, showing a video of my maths group getting to grips with Venn Diagrams. The Maths teacher at Hamilton Lodge got us trying out a problem with triangles and sweets were on offer as an incentive! We all took part!!! Our third speaker shared with us the implications of language in Maths examination questions. Even we found some of the vocabulary hard!!! So easy to lose what the question was asking us to do!!!

We were given a tour of the school which certainly impressed all of us (especially the staff room with a balcony overlooking the sea!!!!).

The committee met soon after to de-brief and prepare for the next twilight event – our November AGM. Focus will be on EHCPs and will be held in London.

Issues:

Ongoing – trying to get more members involved in BATOD South activities. We have just created a Survey Monkey which will be sent to our members to gather data on what they would like from the region and why they don’t currently attend!!!! When the data comes in (October) we will share this.

We are considering only two regional meets as opposed to meeting termly.

We discussed other members of the committee becoming the NEC Rep, as I am finding it increasingly difficult to follow the discussions – I think it is partly old age and I can’t keep up!!!

09-03-14

  1. Regional/National information and events report
    Nothing to report.

  2. Committee meetings report

    The committee welcomed two new members to the meeting at Sellincourt in February. It was lovely to get fresh thoughts and ideas for our next twilight. We also discussed the Twilight in November where we unfortunately did not break even financially (due to the fantastic spread of food provided by our hosts and lack of attendees). The topic - ‘Welcome to my world’ - was well received by those attending and feedback was positive. We also held our AGM where I was elected and seconded to be Chair. Joyce has stepped down from the role but is still on the Committee.

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    25 June 2014Maths aspectsHamilton LodgeMeryl Hunt note new email address

  4. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

    As a committee we discussed the issues of HI children making the same rate of progress as their hearing peers. We are aware that children’s needs and communication modes are changing; we would like to be able to look at models in other settings with comparable populations but not sure how to go about this. We want to ensure our deaf children’s rate of progress is similar to hearing peers (or even exceeding it as they have intensive specialist input). How can we go about this? During the discussion various suggestions were made prime amongst them being to consult the Progression Guidance.

Back to Latest

09/11/13

  1. Regional/National information and events report
    The June twilight was a huge success - good turn-out, excellent speakers, positive feedback and we made a profit of £20. We have kept the same cost for our November twilight.

  2. Committee meetings report

    The committee has met in each other's areas, in order to share the travelling. This has proved to be cost effective. We need to recruit others onto the committee in order for posts to be filled. Meryl Hunt will continue to be Treasurer, but was made Chair Elect earlier this year. Joyce will step down at our AGM in November and Meryl Hunt will also become Chair. (If agreed by the members present.)

  3. Planned events for the next 12 months

    Datetopic venue contact
    20 November 2013Welcome to my worldSelwyn SchoolBATODSouth@batod.org.uk

  4. 1. Issues which Regional committee wishes NEC to consider:

    • We do not have an updated email list of our regional members – as many return as ‘demon’. We are considering using school email addresses instead.
    • Response to Carol Thomson
      • Guidance on drafting/updating regional constitutions, elections etc.  We can’t be the only region that’s had difficulty deciding these matters and it would be helpful to know that there was some consistency between regions.
      • Information on responsibilities/payment for providing communication support at meetings and events; again, we seem to have resolved it but this must be an issue in other parts of the country.

Back to Latest

10-03-13

  1. Regional/National information and events report

    Nothing to report.

  2. Committee meetings report

    Continue to find contacting/reaching all our members tricky due to the spread of the region and the number of rogue email addresses.

    The last twilight, at Christopher Place, was disappointing. Only three members turned up. Despite lack of numbers, we did get to share a variety of profiles and assessments together. As a committee we felt that we had advertised in advance, but our programme may not have been clear. It was also near the end of term. We have also decided that future events will need to be paid for prior to the date.

    Datetopic venue contact
    19 June 2013CI and beyondSedgehill School London SE6 3QW Meryl Hunt

    Application forms and programme information is available via the click link on the BATOD calendar

    Issues: None at present.

Back to Latest