< Back to blog

DLA or PIP payments and residential placements

Posted in News

We have had a message from Ian Noon at the National Deaf Children’s Society:

You might be aware that where a child or young person in receipt of Disability Living Allowance or Personal Independence Payment starts a residential placement (funded by the local authority) the amount they are paid varies according to the number of days they attend the residential placement. There is info on our website about this: https://www.ndcs.org.uk/information-and-support/your-rights/personal-independence-payment-pip/can-my-deaf-child-claim-personal-independence-payment/

As such, when a child begins a residential placement in a special school, this should be reported to the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) as a change in circumstance. The onus is on the claimant or the appointee of the claimant to inform DWP.

However, our casework at the National Deaf Children’s Society with families, has indicated that this is something that families are not always aware of. This can raise complications for them if they do not report this to DWP.

If you are supporting a child making a transfer to a residential placement in a special school (or the child has already transferred), we would be very grateful if you could draw this issue to the attention of the parents.

As always, our helpline can provide information and advice on this issue.