About | 05.01.2024 | By Teresa Quail

QToD services to Independant schools

Response from the Consultant:

“In such instances there is often a service-level agreement in place for chargeable services.

Services for children and young people (CYP) in private education without an education, health and care (EHC0 plan are chargeable to the parent if they pay the fees, but an Independent school the school is not legally required to identify special educational needs (SEN) or provide support.  The Children and Families Act 2014 and the SEND Code of Practice do not apply to wholly independent schools, and so these duties do not apply to them. However, the Equality Act 2010 does apply to all educational settings. Independent schools must not discriminate against disabled pupils, and must make reasonable adjustments where necessary to avoid discrimination.  

If a child has an EHC plan which names an Independant school there is a duty on the Local Authority to commission services and equipment to meet the needs specified, for example, auxiliary aids such as a Qualified Teacher of Deaf Children and Young People (QToD) input, radio aid systems or other equipment,

Similar arrangements will be in place for nations other than England.

This link provides good information: https://www.ipsea.org.uk/faqs/my-child-attends-and-independent-school-and-we-pay-the-fees-are-children-at-independent-settings-entitled-to-support